Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X Bolt or T3 Superlite?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

X Bolt or T3 Superlite?

Looking at picking up a rifle here in the next few days from my local Sportsmans Warehouse. I have never hunted anything bigger than a goose, but I plan to get into deer/elk next year. I have narrowed my choices down to these two rifles:

Browning X Bolt in 6.5 Creedmore
    Tikka T3 Superlite in 30-06

In all honesty, I put a down payment on the T3. It was crazy light, and had a super smooth action. It's trigger was ok, and the synthetic stock was ugly as sin.

The Browning had an ok action feel, great trigger, was certainly heavier, and looked great.

I chose 30-06 because it has a proven track record of putting down elk and deer. The only reason I am having this dilemma is because the 6.5 Creedmore intrigues me so much and the Browning is the only rifle I trusted there that was chambered in that round.

The T3 Superlite in 30-06 will probably do everything I could ever hope it would and more. I am not a long range shooter or target shooter. Will the 6.5 in the Browning give me anything practical that the T3 won't?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Given your location, have you ever thought about taking an antelope as well? The 6.5 would likely have the edge there.

But I have never read of anyone getting a bad Tikka. And a 30-06 will put down anything in the lower 48. Hmmm.

Dang, it is a tough choice.....

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Given your location, have you ever thought about taking an antelope as well? The 6.5 would likely have the edge there.

But I have never read of anyone getting a bad Tikka. And a 30-06 will put down anything in the lower 48. Hmmm.

Dang, it is a tough choice.....
    Yes, in fact I see them quite a bit. I assume the 6.5 is better for antelope because it shoots flatter at longer distances? My one worry on the 6.5 is being a little underpowered (is it?) for elk.

Feedback Score
    Go with the tikka in 30-06. Great great guns especially for the money. 30-06 is also a great cartridge. There is a reason it has held onto the popularity for so long. It flat out works. You won't be under gunned for Elk and an Antelope can only be made so dead so over gunned really isn't a thing there. Plus there are countless loads at most stores to tailor to your current needs. It may not be as sexy but it would be a great place to start. Later on you can always buy something suited to a more specific need. But my experience has been that I grab my 06 most days in the fall. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The T3 Superlite in 30-06 will probably do everything I could ever hope it would and more. I am not a long range shooter or target shooter. Will the 6.5 in the Browning give me anything practical that the T3 won't?
    Shot placement.

Most guys do not shoot over 500 yards. This in realistic terms, means almost any caliber will work. The creed is going to shoot a lot flatter, and have less recoil....just in case you miss We all have those days, just depends on how much you get the fever. The creed should group 3 inches or less at 500, with hand loads you can get about an inch maybe. The 06 is not going to group as tight, but have a bit more energy.

If you have not hunted much, learning to shoot may end up being part of the equation. This is where the creed will outshine most other calibers, making tiny groups, until you need something bigger. I would shoot an elk up to 500, but no more. Ante's are easy kills, just need the herd to stop and give you the shot.

I am more of a shot placement guy. I shoot deer etc in the neck only. Its either hit or miss. All you see is a bang-flop DRT.

Just pick a gun and run with it. If you decide to change calibers, its an excuse to go buy another gun anyway.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Tough call, both are great rifles. You won't enjoy shooting the light 30-06 for multiple rounds. If you don't plan on shooting it much, go with the Tikka. While I'm holding out for a Tikka T3x in 6.5CM(not scheduled for production to my knowledge so far) I have a CTRx 6.5CM coming in. If wanting a Tikka in a lighter caliber, consider the 7-08? You can find them on clearance at either Eurooptic or Whitakers fairly cheap. Referring to the T3, not T3x. I didn't mention .260 since it can be hard to find at times unless you reload.

2 left on 7-08-it is ss although desc states blue.
    https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/207

What's left
    http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-rifles.aspx

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/store...=2&pageSize=12
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If this is going to be your only hunting rifle and will primarily be used for hunting I would get the 30-06. I have never owned, used or handled a Tikka. They do however get awesome reviews and I don't think I have ever read anything negative about them. I'm going solely off caliber for my decision. 30-06 is still one of the more universal and useful hunting calibers in the world, it can kill anything in the lower 48 (big Bruins and moose may be an exception), ammo can be purchased anywhere and bullet weight options are numerous.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I love this forum! So many knowledgeable guys on so many varied topics.

Taking everything that was said into consideration, I am going to stick with the T3 Superlite on '06. It will be my only rifle, I do not plan on shooting it much past sighting in and hunting, and the lightweight aspect really intrigues me. In the future, I'd really like to pick up a 6.5cm...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I love this forum! So many knowledgeable guys on so many varied topics.

Taking everything that was said into consideration, I am going to stick with the T3 Superlite on '06. It will be my only rifle, I do not plan on shooting it much past sighting in and hunting, and the lightweight aspect really intrigues me. In the future, I'd really like to pick up a 6.5cm...
    Not a bad choice at all and at times, I wish I could keep things simple and paired down. If you do reload and would want to work on positional training, take a look at Hodgdons site and H4895 reduced load data. Perfect for this purpose and will be easy on the shoulder. That way you can shoot it more often with less fatigue. For what it's worth, I don't buy into the "you have to shoot full power loads" all of the time, regardless. Everything has it's purpose.
    I use H4895 for my Tikka T3 in .308, 125 and 168's going about 2200, laugh everytime I pull the trigger. Great for short distance training and impact is very close, enough that my hold is not altered.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20R...le%20Loads.pdf
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

.30-06 is fine for moose. They are not that tough, just big. An older acquaintance from my gun club (also my FFL for things I buy online) has hunted, as he says, "everything worth hunting" in North America with a pre-64 M70 Featherweight in .30-06. Multiple elk, a moose, a caribou, some huge deer, etc. adorn his walls. Only things he says he has changed over the years are scopes and ammo and only when something truly better comes along. His comment has always been a good bullet from a .30-06 that both expands and penetrates placed correctly does the job as well or better than anything lighter and doesn't beat the crap out of you like a magnum will in lighter hunting rifles. One thing to note here is that he is a "one rifle" kind of guy. The .30-06, a .22lr, and several shotguns in multiple gauges make up his hunting guns.

Personally, I am partial to lighter calibers for deer sized game (.243-6.5mm) and flatter shooting calibers (thinking about building a.280AI) for larger game. That said, if someone told me I had to pick only one cartridge to use for hunting, I would be hard pressed to make an argument that there was a better choice than .30-06. As good? Maybe. Better? No.
    Last edited by cdmiller; 09-07-16 at 23:41.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast