Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: General Purpose rifle

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A Remington Model 700 mountain rifle in .280. This rifle is light to carry, accurate, .280 while sometimes not as well supplied as .270 is easy to find reloading components for and can take most big game in NA without a problem.

Feedback Score
    I recently put a light weight hunting rifle together. I considered a Ruger gunsight, but it had a lot of needless features like iron sights, a detachable magazine, and a heavy wooden stock. The Ruger compact rifle seemed a more simple solution, and I think it is highly preferable to the gunsight thing.

I ended up finding an inexpensive Remington 700 ADL SS and decided to work with that. Chopped the barrel to 16.5" and threaded it, mounted a short rail to the left side, and picked up a Vortex Viper 1-4x. IT is pretty no frills with the blind magazine and factory synthetic stock, but it is extremely light weight and serves its purpose as an easy to carry, durable hunting rifle.

People seem to worry about lots of useless features that really provide no benefit to them in the field. Keep your use in mind and try to keep away from stuff you don't really need. As far as mauser style controlled round feed, I have never had a push feed rifle fail to feed where a mauser action would...

Feedback Score
    Buy a lightly used M700 BDL or ADL in 270 or 30-06.

Skip the 308s...that ammo will disappear again after the next school shooting or when Hillary is elected in 2016.

Place a nice Nikon or Leupold optic on it and call it good.

I have a late 80s BDL in 270 and this is exactly what I did with it. It is amazingly accurate, easy on the shoulder and I can find ammo for it anywhere. I think I paid 400 for the rifle and another 250 or so for the Leupold 3x9x40 scope.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I use a ruger m77 30-06 for the same thing and have for years I personally favor the Mauser design in a rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    USN CTT1 (SW/AW) Retired

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    30-06 would be the caliber I would choose. Once the recent scare started to die down, it was the first ammunition to show up at Wal-Mart and other box stores.

30-06 is versatile enough to shoot just about any game you might want to hunt. With good ammunition it is a sub 2 MOA round out of a good rifle.
    I had an old 30-06 AI that was a very versatile gun, shooting formed AI hand loads, it was impressively accurate and there was an increase in MV.

The main advantage is of course that you can fire factory 30-06 (not formed AI) rounds from it with more than acceptable accuracy.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    I'm also a fan of 30-06, especially if you reload.

There are guys that have loaded it up to 300 WM power in one load, or scaled it down to very light shooting rounds. Very versatile, and very common even when a scare is in progress.

I like the Ruger GSR, and it does serve a lot of potential needs for a general purpose rifle in 308, but it obviously does not come in 30-06.

A bolt action rifle with a light palma contour in 30-06 (or maybe 6.5x55 if you didn't mind going a little exotic) would be a great all around rifle for everything from target shooting to hunting up to elk sized game.

A scope with magnification in the 2.5-10 or 3-12 range would suit it nicely.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Gunsite Scout all the way; I have been able to buy hundreds, if not thousands, of 7.62 during the last few months. It is a great, versatile rifle that can be setup in virtually every configuration: conventional, scout, long range, close in, etc.

If you want to maintain the scout concept, Leupold makes a, I think, 2.5-5x VX-R scout scope. The eye relief isn't as good as the 2.5, which I absolutely love. 2.5x can take a lot living creatures on this earth.

I think if I were mounting it in a conventional setup, I would use a fixed 10x scope and make a true 'scoot and shoot' scout/sniper rifle.
    U.S. Army (RET)
    NRA, GOA, SAF, IDPA, USPSA member

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Pics 424.jpg
    I like .308 and I have a number of rifles, (a few more than pictured) in that caliber. I dont have a problem finding ammo, when it's cheap I do buy in bulk.
    I like all three of those rifles and each for a different reason, I think the perfect General Purpose Rifle is dependant upon a lot of things, but somewhere in there Ive found an answer. Okay it was an damned expensive answer, but it kinda works.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Another advantage to 30-06 is that you can load low velocity cast bullets around 1200 fps for a whole lot less money than factory ammunition. The loads are fun to plink with and shoot small game out to 100 yards.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    for an all around plinking/hunting(from javelina to elk)/etc, a 20" .30-06 will be impossible to beat. put a 3-9x on it and call it good. you'll be able to take a javelina, hog, deer, or an elk with bullets from 125 to 220gr.

ammo could not be any more varied, save for .223/5.56 or .308/x51, obviously. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...ensionid=15968

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast