Thread: Questions about ordering LMT upper

Feedback Score

Questions about ordering LMT upper

Hey guys I know this may sound like a stupid question but can I order a 14.5 LMT upper from a vendor without having a SBR tax stamp and then have a flash hider pinned locally,or do I would I need a tax stamp to place the order? I have searched around and have not been able to find an answer.

Thanks for your help.

Feedback Score
    Dont take this as law but from what i have understtod.you can order a 14.5 upper and no one will ask for any tax stamp but you possesing it is a felony if caught with out having a sbr lower.just possesing it is like conspirisy to commit the crime even if it is not assembled to your lower.But many people do it and i would suggest as soon as you recive it ship it right back out for the pin job asap or read the same or next day.dont take it and try it out at the range first.its not legal but it happends more than you would think.A lot of shops you may order from may be able to have this done before they ship it to you.wont hurt to ask.I ordered one from rainierarms and they had it done before shipping but i had to wait about 4 weeks.Adco can also do it.

Also as a second thought if you want a 14.5 depending on what flash hider you want you may consider a Noveske upper.It includeds the rear site and comes with the BCG and has the flash hider already pinned.I know it cost more but for the price of a lmt plus flash hider plus labor and then if needing a BCG and rear site the N4 basic is not much more by the time you ad it all up.You will never question the quality and i have found i spend less when i buy all the best first once than always upgrading later.

Feedback Score
    Yeah that is what I thought. I have read that using high temp silver solder (1200)is a viable option for permanently installing a flash hider on a 14.5 upper to make it legal also. I really am just ready to order a LMT upper so that I can have it broken in and sighted in before qualifications at the end of May for my LE agency, I have sent email to several vendors but have only received answers back from G and R Tactical, but unfortunately G and R Tactical is out of stock.

I already have a Vortex flash hider that I can install to make it the legal length but if there will be potential legal issues then I will just wait until Grant has more in stock.

Feedback Score
    If the vortex is what you are going with then i would definatly look into the N4 basic.If you are part of a LE agency do they have thier own armorer?maybe he can do it for you.I have tried to drill a vortex before for myself and i burnt up 2 snap-on drill bits and barely put a dent in it.I think they are hardened more than most people think.

Feedback Score
    We have an armorer but he doesn't have the tools needed to pin/weld a permanent flash hider for me since we are a fairly small agency. That is why I was considering just ordering a 14.5 LMT upper and using silver solder to install the vortex I already purchased some time ago. I also know of several places locally that could probably pin the flash hider for me.I thought about the N4 but I am fairly set on the LMT upper at least for this build.

I am not willing to risk any legal issues, so I guess I will just have to wait a while and let Grant set one up for me.

Thank you for your advice