Thread: Which Charles Daly M4?

Feedback Score

Which Charles Daly M4?

This is somewhat of a breakoff from the Charles Daly m4 review and I figured it was better to add a new topic than hijack that post. Anyway, I think the Charles Daly m4 is what I need for an ar. The problem is I am having trouble deciding between the standard D-M4 carbine and the D-M4LE. I was considering going with the D-M4 because it comes with a rear sight already and is a little cheaper. If I went with that model would I miss the improvements in the barrel(steel and twist rate) and the milspec receiver extension with h buffer that the LE model offers? I'd like the LE model, but cash is a little tight and considering the guns use as a ranch gun which will probably see no more than 500 rounds a year, I wonder if the standard model would suit me fine. But, I'm not that knowledgable so I thought I'd seek your guys's opinions. So which would be better for me, the D-M4 or the D-m4LE?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm certainly not an "expert"...but for a "ranch gun"... I bet the D-M4 would serve you well.

The advantage of the 4150 CMV barrel steel in the LE model is only evident with high round counts in a short period of time (lots of training classes, World War III, SHTF...that type stuff).

For a plinker or even moderate hard use...4140 steel is fine. My S&W (also 4140) has been through 5,000 rounds in about 4 months and its still shooting straight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So where are you seeing prices? Whats the difference? Are we talking a couple of hundred bucks? If so I'd wait till you can save up and then get the LE version. Persoanlly I would go with the LE model for the twist rate. You'll get better accuracy out of the heavier loads.

Feedback Score
    I was using the quote I got from Davidsons new gun genie system. The difference was something on the order of $40, but I figured that cost would be more since I would need a rear sight since I have no plans for optics. The LE model came to about $1,026. I cold probably go with the LE model. The only reason I was looking at the cheaper one was that it already had a rear sight and I could us the money I saved to get some ammo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ya know I have never heard of that but am now hooked after spending a few minutes there . Thanks. I hear what you are saying. Yeah I can see the added expense of ammo (thats about 80 rounds of the Remington UMC 55gr) and a BUIS. But to get started, you could always (please dont pummel me for this) get a cheap UTG BUIS until you can save up for something like an A.R.M.S 40. But thats what I would do it it were me. I would rather have the core rifle and build upon it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDak View Post
    So which would be better for me, the D-M4 or the D-m4LE?

The better of the two is the D-M4LE, but that doesn't mean the standard D-M4 wouldn't serve you well.

The D-M4LE will run you more, plus another $100 (roughly) for an iron sight of some sorts. If you can swing it, go that route, if you can't, don't worry about it. The biggest thing would be if you were going to shoot heavier ammunition (68+ grain) and would need the faster twist barrel of the M4LE.

Charles Daly D-M4 Carbine pictured below.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You know, I keep telling myself I don't need any more AR's and then I see a Stickman pic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know. So I put my M&P 15X up for sale today to finance getting one.