Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I trade my P226 for G19 for concealed carry?

Feedback Score

Should I trade my P226 for G19 for concealed carry?

Hello guys,

I have a P226 with rail and think about carry it occasionally. I got my permit for a while but haven't had a chance to really carry due to the nature of my work (Government office job). I saw a good deal on the G19 for $425 with tax at a local dealer because I can get discount for vet. Should I trade in my P226 and get the Glock 19 for carry?

I love the P226. Haven't had any problem or double feeding with it at all. However, the full size pistol is a bit inconvenient for carry. I usually wear a blazer or jacket when I go outside (Minnesota....), so I don't worry much about not enough concealment. The only thing I worry is the weight and how it affects movements etc.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I know I would switch in a second. You have to decide what's best for you though.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Keep the 226. You'll regret it.

Buy a G19 if you want a cc firearm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd also keep the 226 for a house or range gun. If you can afford the G19, buy it outright. It's a perfect carry gun IMHO.

There's a whole lot of life outside of work and I can't imagine going anywhere without being armed.

Feedback Score
    I traded my Sig p226 9mm for a Glock 26 plus cash. I have been very happy and shoot a ton more 9mm. I believe strongly in the primacy of the Glock platform.
    U.S. Army (RET)
    NRA, GOA, SAF, IDPA, USPSA member

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would still keep it as maybe a winter gun, and maybe get a belt that can manage the heft unless you really want to dump the Sig style guns all together.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Feedback Score
    Always buy guns. Never sell or trade. Unless you have a turd you are offloading.

I've regretted selling/trading pretty much every single gun I let go of.

Feedback Score
    I used to think the same way--I still do, never sell a gun without getting a new one.

The issue for me, now, is that I view each gun as a capability. Some capabilities are more important than others. The Sig P226 is a large DA/SA gun that is fun to shoot and felt great in the hand for me. I was slow, but deathly accurate with it.

The Glock 19 is a compact, yet sizable gun that can easily fill the Sig's role as a MDS (Main Secondary Weapon), as a "nightstand gun," and its also very fun to shoot. Now, we could go on and write a book about what the G19 can do that a P226R cannot.

Buy combat/defensive capabilities, not guns; that is my mindset. I am no longer a collector.
    U.S. Army (RET)

Feedback Score
    The G19 is going to be a better pistol to conceal and doesn't give up much. The P226 is a great pistol and if I liked shooting it, I'd be hard pressed to want to trade it. Whatever you decide to do, don't trade the Sig straight up for the Glock. At the very least let the LGS sell it on consignment for you.
    Last edited by walkin' trails; 10-22-13 at 06:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by walkin' trails View Post
    The G19 is going to be a better pistol to conceal and doesn't give up much. The P226 is a great pistol and if I liked shooting it, I'd be hard pressed to want to trade it. Whatever you decide to do, don't trade the Sig straight up for the Glock. At the very least let the LGS sell it on consignment for you.
    Agreed 100% at least about the money. I did my P226 for a Glock and~400 IIRC.
    U.S. Army (RET)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast