Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I trade/sell my Glock 17 for something more concealable?

Feedback Score

Should I trade/sell my Glock 17 for something more concealable?

Out at the ranch I carried my Gen 3 G17 for years before I bought my first M4. As the M4 became more and more a part of my life the G17 became more of a "carry gun" for "in town."

Now that I've had my S & W J-frame 642 for a few months, it gets carried more and more and the G17 just gets carried....not at all. I don't even think switching to a G19 would ever get me to carry the Glock again because I just can't have it with me in as many modes of dress as I can the J-frame.

My local dealer tells me, "Don't sell right now. Wait for another panic."

My thought is that I could put the money toward ammo or something else. Maybe something Ruger LCP sized? (Not that I'd buy that pistol. I don't know enough about it).

I know a lot of people are pissed at Glock lately because the guns aren't what they used to be, but this one was made in early 2010 just before the era when people began to say Glock's quality had slipped. It has been flawless so far. To muddy the waters even further, it isn't my "only" Gen 3 G17. I actually have an older one made before they started installing the "dipped" extractor. It is in near mint condition and will stay that way.

So, keep it or get rid of it?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Considering how long you have had the handgun, and the fact that you still enjoy it means you should keep it. Yeah, the M4 will get the love around the ranch (as it should), and you may enjoy carrying the J-frame better now, the Glock 17 still has uses.

You could throw some night sights on it (I'm assuming it has none) and buy an inexpensive streamlight TLR-1 and have a great, reliable nightstand gun. If it is before the Glock quality "Dipped' by all means keep it. You can never have too many reliable firearms close at hand, and there are few as reliable as a Glock 17.

Also, it's a great gun to teach new shooters how to shoot. Low recoil, good balance, high capacity. YMMV
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    How much do ya want for it shipped?

Feedback Score
    Keep the Glock , it is a good pistol to have when you need more! The 443 is a sweetheart to carry when you don't need more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    How much do ya want for it shipped?
    What he said!!!
    Never sit at the bargaining table with an empty stomach.

Feedback Score
    5 (86%)
    Keep the 17. You already another carry option. Another option which may surprise you is the Glock 26...shoots better than you think it will.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by djegators View Post
    Keep the 17. You already another carry option. Another option which may surprise you is the Glock 26...shoots better than you think it will.
    I'm picking one up tonight.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Considering how long you have had the handgun, and the fact that you still enjoy it means you should keep it. Yeah, the M4 will get the love around the ranch (as it should), and you may enjoy carrying the J-frame better now, the Glock 17 still has uses.

You could throw some night sights on it (I'm assuming it has none) and buy an inexpensive streamlight TLR-1 and have a great, reliable nightstand gun. If it is before the Glock quality "Dipped' by all means keep it. You can never have too many reliable firearms close at hand, and there are few as reliable as a Glock 17.

Also, it's a great gun to teach new shooters how to shoot. Low recoil, good balance, high capacity. YMMV
    Agreed!
    May you be in heaven at least an hour before the devil knows your dead.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would also keep the G17. It fills a role the J frame does not, in that it is a full size duty-type weapon.

It does not cost you anything to keep it, and I am assuming you already have mags and spare parts for it. Keep a reasonable stash of ammo on hand, and you will have any eventuality requiring a larger pistol covered without having to go out and reacquire one.

If you are comfortable with it, keep carrying the J frame as a CCW piece, but this way you have another tool for the toolbox already on hand.

Feedback Score
    Why not just cut the G17 to take G19 mags?

Unless you always wear a tucked in shirt, or gym shorts, or no shirt, you should be able to carry a G19 sized gun.

G19 cut to G26 mags are also really neat. Pair that up with a VG 2 and goodbye J-frame.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast