Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AIWB holster. Shaggy versus archangel

Feedback Score

AIWB holster. Shaggy versus archangel

I am wanting to try Aiwb with my glock 19. I like the look of the dale fricke archangel. But, I've read good things about the CCC shaggy. The reason I like the look of the archangel is that it's thinner than the shaggy which looks pretty thick to me. But, I've never even tried an Aiwb holster on. Any input on the differences of these holsters would be appreciated. Am I off track looking at the thickness? I really wish I could try a bunch of these holsters on before buying one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wouldn't say that you are off track. Thickness can add to discomfort, but it can also "potentially" add to durability. Thinner kydex obviously has the possibility of breaking easier. The first appendix holster I tried was the Archangel for my P239. I did not like it, I could not get use to it, it would awkwardly dig into my femoral, which caused a lot of discomfort.

I then went with the VG2 after a while and loved it. It worked great, but I had to move away for it due to the need to reholster. The Raven VG2 is a great idea, but it's not ideal if you want something to easily reholster. I again looked at Raven, but did not like their appendix rig and how large it was, I also heard bad reviews from guys I knew. I ended up getting the Contact!Concealment appendix holster with the larger kydex clip instead of the button snap. Bruce hooked me up and got it to me before I left for my vacation, and is amazingly fast to respond to e-mails with questions. I got one for my G19 and G26, I got the Paul Howe mod on my G26 one. They are both extremely comfortable and the clip is almost annoyingly strong. The clip will clip on to everything, there are some times it's easier for me to undo my belt and pull it out, then wiggle the holster off the seam of my jeans, which it still catches and holds tight to.

On a side note, my Dale Fricke holster came with a little Bible, which was awesome in my book. Great surprise when I opened the box.
    "My craving is, and always has been, to be involved in actions conducted to ensure America remains strong, safe, and free of those who have its destruction as their goal."
    - Billy Waugh

"When you enter a room full of armed men, shoot the first person who moves, hostile or otherwise. He has started to think and is therefore dangerous."
    - Robert "Paddy" Mayne

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The Shaggy is no thicker than any other kydex holster I've seen, I'm wearing one now. I've tried multiple other manufacturers and it is more comfortable and conceals better than anything else I've tried thus far.

However, the endless search for "the one" never stops and Dark Star Gear is sending me an AIWB holster this week.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    I got one for my G19 and G26, I got the Paul Howe mod on my G26 one.
    What's the mod? I didn't see it listed on their site.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    What's the mod? I didn't see it listed on their site.
    It isn't, I had to e-mail Bruce who explained it to me. Paul Howe did a little write up on it with his monthly newsletter back in December I believe. It's basically an extension of the sweat guard that goes along the slide, that extends maybe a 1/4 of an inch past the rear of the slide. The idea being that you could wear it with gym shorts or throw it in a pack and and use the extension as a place to push off of with your thumb to break the retention, removing the need for a secure point for the holster clip.

Paul Howe and many other guys I respect in their professional capacities is what turned me onto Contact!Concealment. I'm glad I went with them.
    Last edited by Vendetta; 10-24-13 at 22:25.
    "My craving is, and always has been, to be involved in actions conducted to ensure America remains strong, safe, and free of those who have its destruction as their goal."
    - Billy Waugh

"When you enter a room full of armed men, shoot the first person who moves, hostile or otherwise. He has started to think and is therefore dangerous."
    - Robert "Paddy" Mayne

Feedback Score
    I would throw JM Custom Kydex into the mix. His AIWB holster with the extra tuck option is the most comfortable appendix carry holster I've ever worn.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wore a JM custom for a year.

I've since moved to a Phlster skeleton. Why? It seemed for me the "wedge" made the snap buttons print more that anything else. The Skele has the exact same "foot print" as the VG2, but still allows reholstering. It also has the single loop, which lets the gun cant and move which is WAY comfortable and more accessable when driving. It also lets me have a FBI style cant when not in a car, which hides the gun and lets me get a better grip.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    I wore a JM custom for a year.

I've since moved to a Phlster skeleton. Why? It seemed for me the "wedge" made the snap buttons print more that anything else. The Skele has the exact same "foot print" as the VG2, but still allows reholstering. It also has the single loop, which lets the gun cant and move which is WAY comfortable and more accessable when driving. It also lets me have a FBI style cant when not in a car, which hides the gun and lets me get a better grip.
    Dammit now I got to buy a Phlster skeleton to try it out. The wedge didn't really make it print anymore for me but I will say it could cause some discomfort sometimes because it pushed the grip so tight against my body that I couldn't bend until moving it around a bit.

Feedback Score
    The Archangel lacks a tucking feature. I have one and use it regularly when some printing is acceptable, like mountain biking or mowing the lawn.

Dark Star Gear's AIWB is awesome. Tucking feature works well. It does however add girth to the belt (same issue theblackknight is describing above). This is my go to holster for training.

The VG2 is awesome for when you need deep concealment, like when printing could get you arrested or killed. With this holster, as long as you are wearing a belt, you have no reason not to be carrying a Glock.

NUoSU Concealment also has a great new design for AIWB with an Inforce APL. I have been playing with it for the past week and will begin to edc it starting tomorrow. I did not think AIWB was possible with a WML (aside from seeing some people carrying directly as 12 o'clock) unless you were a female. That was until I checked out the NUoSU AIWB at a recent Hackathorn class. The APL certainly helps, as an X300 or x300u is probably a no go.

Do make sure that regardless of whatever you decide to buy, to pick up an Archangel mag pouch, unless you're already carrying something at left handed appendix.

Also, don't forget to order a holster made for a Glock 17, not the 19. The extra length will also help push the grip inwards.
    Last edited by Trajan; 10-24-13 at 23:07.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    +1 for Contact Concealment. I used his stuff overseas for a few trips and it held up great. Bruce is a good guy and stands behind his stuff.
    Last edited by JB13; 10-24-13 at 23:01.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast