Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting .223 Federal Fusion Test

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Interesting .223 Federal Fusion Test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE5ZnQmKy2o

In short the bullet only penetrated ~9", interesting results since this is one of the barrier blind loads suggested by Doc which I assume should meet the FBI min. penetration. Im guessing this occurred because it was shot from a 20" barrel at ~3000 fps it opened too rapidly reducing its penetration. Does this mean we should only be using this ammo in 16" barrels or less?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE5ZnQmKy2o

In short the bullet only penetrated ~9", interesting results since this is one of the barrier blind loads suggested by Doc which I assume should meet the FBI min. penetration. Im guessing this occurred because it was shot from a 20" barrel at ~3000 fps it opened too rapidly reducing its penetration. Does this mean we should only be using this ammo in 16" barrels or less?
    It's only one shot, which only serves as a snapshot of possible performance. It's best to have a spread of five or more to assess extremes and average.

The sim-test medium adds its own variables. Preparation and calibration is important. I don't know how sim-test performance compares to real tissue or any validations for it.

Velocities published by Federal are for different barrel lengths. The F223FS1 is from a 24" test barrel. The MSR is from a 16". His velocities aren't surprising.

Bullets also have minds of their own and all the imperfection of their human makers. It could be a valid result, but I suspect it's not a representative sample for one or more reasons.

Another thread discussing the regular and MSR fusion loadings of this bullet:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...8836&highlight
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's a 64gr GDSP (#24447) recovered from tissue a few weeks ago. Performance between this loading and the commercially packaged 62gr Fusions are often identical.

This round was recovered from a 200lb whitetail buck. I shot him at about 35yds from a kneel. He was shot broadside once just behind the shoulder above the heart. After spinning 180 degrees he offered up the opposite broadside, and was shot at the same approximate location. After jumping in place a few seconds, he fell dead.

During recovery, two entrance wounds and two bullet paths were identified. The first round entered and struck the opposite chest wall and caused trauma as it tried to exit but ran out of gas. The second round had a more angular trajectory and ended up traveling into the guts and was not recovered.

This load chronos about 2700fps from the gun.

In the third photo, it looks like a petal has broken off. It's actually folded over onto an adjacent petal, maintaining full structural integrity.

2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have basically switched to the 62g Fusion load away from 75g TAP. I believe the 62g Fusion is one of the best all around loads for self defense, hunting, etc... for the AR platform. Maybe its not THE BEST, but as an all around performer, its hard to beat. I havent sold any of my 75g TAP and still keep a few mags of it around, but I dont have it in the guns any more.

I believe in the other thread that was linked it was determined that there was, in essence, zero difference between the two loadings, just that the testing was done with a 16" vs. 24" barrel. Oh and the non-MSR is put into prettier cases.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Here's a 64gr GDSP (#24447) recovered from tissue a few weeks ago. Performance between this loading and the commercially packaged 62gr Fusions are often identical.

This round was recovered from a 200lb whitetail buck. I shot him at about 35yds from a kneel. He was shot broadside once just behind the shoulder above the heart. After spinning 180 degrees he offered up the opposite broadside, and was shot at the same approximate location. After jumping in place a few seconds, he fell dead.

During recovery, two entrance wounds and two bullet paths were identified. The first round entered and struck the opposite chest wall and caused trauma as it tried to exit but ran out of gas. The second round had a more angular trajectory and ended up traveling into the guts and was not recovered.

This load chronos about 2700fps from the gun.

In the third photo, it looks like a petal has broken off. It's actually folded over onto an adjacent petal, maintaining full structural integrity.
    My primary load is 64gr GDSP as its the most accurate barrier blind load out there. However it can be pretty difficult to find and I always looked at the Fusion load as a backup. Supposedly the difference between the two is that the GD bullet has more antimony mixed in to make the bullet tougher.

I also recall seeing someone do a wallboard test with the Federal XM223SP1 62gr ICE load. Because it uses a 62gr bullet and not a 64gr one we can assume it uses the same bullet as the fusion load since Doc stated the XM223SP1 was similarly constructed, however that bullet did not hold up too well either making me think the Fusion bullets are simply not as robust.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This stuff seems to be the most readily available bonded sp around. And a great value. I picked up 200 round case recently on GB for about .80 per round.

I this currently stoked in my HD 11.5" SBR. I figured that between all the data we have out there, the test on the federal website, the fact that Doc states this is similar constructed to the gold dot, and there was a test Ive seen around here where the xm223sp1(same 62gr bullet right?) where it expands down to 1900 or less. So all things add up to me that it would be a great round from my 16" or my SBR.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have probably 100 rounds of RA556B, about 100 rounds of the XM556FBIT3 and maybe 200 rounds of MK318.

The FBI stuff I've loaded into my HD gun; with the idea that the Winchester stuff will be "just in case" ammo.

But with the MSR being $17/20, and the RA556 being about $33/20, I'm wondering if I should shift all my eggs into the MSR platform and stock twice the amount for the same money. Part of the problem I have is I don't shoot enough to do more than function check. I mean, why shoot, say, 5 mags at a cost of $200 to ensure it works well? With the MSR, I might be able to.

Anyone know the going rate on the MK318? Might be able to sell it off and put that towards either the Federal or Winchester rounds instead.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    I have probably 100 rounds of RA556B, about 100 rounds of the XM556FBIT3 and maybe 200 rounds of MK318.

The FBI stuff I've loaded into my HD gun; with the idea that the Winchester stuff will be "just in case" ammo.

But with the MSR being $17/20, and the RA556 being about $33/20, I'm wondering if I should shift all my eggs into the MSR platform and stock twice the amount for the same money. Part of the problem I have is I don't shoot enough to do more than function check. I mean, why shoot, say, 5 mags at a cost of $200 to ensure it works well? With the MSR, I might be able to.

Anyone know the going rate on the MK318? Might be able to sell it off and put that towards either the Federal or Winchester rounds instead.
    I cannot find M318 Mod 0 anywhere anymore, but I bought it from PSA a year ago for $15 a box of 20.

I want to stock up on Gold Dots, however, PSA has free shipping, and the MSR 62grs, for $17.

Is there any reason to pay more for 64gr Gold Dots?

Feedback Score
    The explanation I got on another forum is that the MSR penetrates deeper at distance. At shorter distances, the velocity causes more rapid expansion and less penetration. I haven't quite figured out my true HD load yet. Most info out there is LE/Mil based and they frequently have different requirements. I'm leaning toward a lighter (50 gr.) JHP, but haven't found data to back that up yet.
    {--notes instant silence. Don't make me put on clothes and tickle you, Katy.

Feedback Score
    I don't believe his test media is very well calibrated. Others on YouTube have done Fusion tests and it always penetrates to FBI specs. Tnoutdoors9 just reviewed Tula x39 FMJ and that test showed unrealistic results as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast