Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting .223 Federal Fusion Test

Feedback Score
    ELECTROPLATED, NOT BONDED.

Both the Federal Fusion bullet and the Speer Gold Dot are electroplated bullets.

At both manufacturer's websites, they go to great lengths to CONCEAL this fact because they are terrified that consumers will confuse their excellent electroplated rifle bullets with cheap electroplated handgun bullets with thin plating - like Berry's.

A true "bonded" bullet uses a traditional pre-formed tubular jacket that is chemically bonded to a swaged lead core - usually with a bonding agent like muriatic acid. Such bullets have nothing in common with electroplated Fusion and Gold Dot bullets.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TY44934 View Post

Both the Federal Fusion bullet and the Speer Gold Dot are electroplated bullets.

At both manufacturer's websites, they go to great lengths to CONCEAL this fact because they are terrified that consumers will confuse their excellent electroplated rifle bullets with cheap electroplated handgun bullets with thin plating - like Berry's.

A true "bonded" bullet uses a traditional pre-formed tubular jacket that is chemically bonded to a swaged lead core - usually with a bonding agent like muriatic acid. Such bullets have nothing in common with electroplated Fusion and Gold Dot bullets.
    I understand what you are saying. Can you explain to me how this means that electroplating the gilding metal jacket onto the core is not also a method of bonding?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If they went to such great lengths to hide it how does everybody know about it? True bonding just means that the jacket and core are combined to essentially become one piece rather than two. There is no difference in electro chemically bonding, chemically, welding or any of the other bonding processes. Some bonding processes create a stronger bond, but saying that the electro chemically bonded gold dot/fusions are not bonded is just ignorant.

I think speer knows how to bond bullets, they are one of the first to offer bonded bullets. They also could use any way they want to bond bullets. If they truly were not bonded as you suggest you would here professionals who test ammo speek out about it. Anybody that has shot bullet into water jugs can even see the difference in bonded and non bonded

Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I understand what you are saying. Can you explain to me how this means that electroplating the gilding metal jacket onto the core is not also a method of bonding?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    He cant explain it. I have looked into making my own bonded bullets because you can not find a 70+ grain otm bullet that is bonded. I have found 64s but only in loaded ammo. There are a few different methods of bonding. They all result in the cores being bonded to the jackets, but some methods like welding are only as strong as the welding material.

Welding is applying a solder to the inside of the jacket placing the core than heating. Which welds the jacket to the core. This method is only as strong as the welding material. Corbin has some good info on making bonded bullets, they also sell everything you need to make your own bullets.
    Last edited by jstone; 06-14-14 at 01:53.

Feedback Score
    Fussion failed wallboard test?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kh86 View Post
    Fussion failed wallboard test?
    No, the xm223sp1 did but supposedly the gold dot, fusion and xm223sp1 are very similar in construction.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...nse-You-Decide

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    I have found 64s but only in loaded ammo.
    Nosler makes a bonded 64g for reloading. I have seen the Fusion pull's being offered before. I have never seen anything heavier. I wonder what the reasoning is. Im wondering if its even needed since, in theory you get a 100% retained weight energy dump from the 62/64g offerings vs. a 77g OTM where you have to deal with possible jacket separation issues and thus not getting a 100% energy dump into one part of the target as the core separates from the jacket. I dont know, it sounds better in my head when thinking about it.

Feedback Score
    Electroplating requires activation such as hcl or h2so4. Electroplating is chemically bonded if done properly, and annealing increases the diffusion layer thickness. My experience does not involve lead so it may be a little different but the chemistry is what it is. I'd love to know how hcl bonds two dissimilar metals together.

If you have two relatively thick dissimilar metals with a very thin diffusion layer, they will shear apart rather easily, but this is do to specs, not process.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-15-14 at 15:31.

Feedback Score
    Wrong - you failed to explain that electroplating necesitates a plating of PURE COPPER. You can't plate on "gilding metal" because "gilding metal" is an alloy.

I don't think you understand the process of bullet making at all well.

Feedback Score
    Wrong - you failed to explain that electroplating necesitates a plating of PURE COPPER. You can't plate on "gilding metal" because "gilding metal" is an alloy.

I don't think you understand the process of bullet making at all well.
    I want to make sure I'm reading this correctly. Are you saying alloys cannot be electroplated? Brass cannot be electroplated?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-17-14 at 16:40.

Feedback Score
    There seems to be a pretty big difference between the performance of the 55gr gold dot and the 64gr gold dot. Why is this?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast