Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does a bolt-action like this exist?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Rob,
    IIRC, the Savage Scout used a B-Square scope mount that utilized the front scope mounting holes and the rear open site dovetail to mount, the rear aptature mounted in the rear scope mounting holes, so switching shouldn't be to hard.

I thought they used to make a regular carbine version also, but I didn't see it in their catalog.

Bob

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Bob, it looks like you're correct. I stole this pic from gunsamerica and it appears to show exactly what you describe. It looks like this one might be the old version though as the new version on Savage's website doesn't appear to have the side mag release this one does.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    At $250 friends and family, I bet this scope would be a great addition to the $600 Savage.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Bob, it looks like you're correct. I stole this pic from gunsamerica and it appears to show exactly what you describe. It looks like this one might be the old version though as the new version on Savage's website doesn't appear to have the side mag release this one does.
    The new Savage Scouts do have a new mag release on the bottom metal. I fingered one recently and it seems to be almost exactly what you're asking for. I don't recall if the rear sight base allows for removal to conventionally mount a scope though.

I recently purchased a Steyr Scout and the sights are rudimentary at best. You get a lot for your money with the Savage at ~$550 (what my friend paid if memory serves). The downsides as I see them are the poor front sight (dot on a stick, I'd rather have a more conventional post), inability to conventionally mount a scope, no built in setup for the Ching Sling (not that big a deal for me, but it's a big deal for Steyr fans) and the big one, small magazines. The Steyr gives you 10 rounds on the gun. The Savage only holds 4.

If someone figures out the mag problem, the Savage would be my choice. It's 80% of what I wanted out of the box, which was a hell of a lot closer than most bolt guns in that price range. I'm not a fan of sending guns off for work.

Feedback Score
    Rob I would really look into the FN PBR as an option. I own both a PBR and SPR A3G and they are great rifles. Yes the weight is a little factor but bone up on the PT and it's worth the extra couple of pounds. One thing I would suggest with the FN rifles is a trigger job from a good gunsmith. The FN rifles are built right out of the box. I set a new match record last week at a precision rifle match with the SPR and I was shooting against guys running rifles that cost 3 times as much. What ever you purchase invest in good ammo and practice a lot.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sorry, but weight is weight. "Bone up on the PT" is bullshit. Whether you're a lard-ass that can't walk up the stairs without help or you're Chuck Norris, you can carry a lighter weight further and longer than you can a heavier one.

I plan to take a 3-day class with this rifle. 2 extra pounds over 3 8-10 hour days gets very tedious no matter how much "PT" you have previously "boned up on".

Feedback Score

My opinion...

Rob_S,

Would the Remington 788 fit your bill?

It's an older, discontinued rifle, but they have a reputation for OUTSTANDING accuracy.

Hope this helps.

Joel N.
    "Yog" (in Alaska)
    "Molon Labe!"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Rob, I was gonna say the same thing regading weight.

THe 788 was/is agood gun, I had one for awhile. Rumor/word, is Remington stopped building them because they were outselling and outshooting the 700.

Finsing one in 308, thats in good shape, and not a fortune, could be a problem. The oones I see at the shows are either tore up, or over priced.

Bob

Feedback Score
    Sorry to ruffle your feathers Rob. I did spend 4 years of my life lugging a 27 pound machine gun to make a living. Yes everything can and will get heavy and yes PT will help reduce some of the negative effects. Nothing wrong with a light rifle if you can get it to shoot and hold up. To each his own is a true saying.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxCatm View Post
    Sorry to ruffle your feathers Rob. I did spend 4 years of my life lugging a 27 pound machine gun to make a living. Yes everything can and will get heavy and yes PT will help reduce some of the negative effects. Nothing wrong with a light rifle if you can get it to shoot and hold up. To each his own is a true saying.
    It's just a sticking point of mine. It makes no logical sense to choose a heavy tool when a light tool will do the job just as well. If you look at any of the serious hiking/backpacking magazines you'll find a huge emphasis on things getting lighter and lighter. I don't think anyone would accuse those guys of "needing more PT", but they understand that (as Travis said elsewhere on this site) "ounces turn to pounds" and pounds suck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast