Thread: No clay pigeons anymore?

Feedback Score

No clay pigeons anymore?

I went out to my favorite spot near Maricopa this past Sunday, and noticed the BLM has posted signs at the trailheads that, among other things, forbid shooting clay pigeons on their land anymore. Is this a new rule, or just something they never bothered to post before? I was rather pissed, I had a case of clays, an 870 and a spring-loaded thrower with me that I couldn't use.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    It has always been prohibited. Public land doesn't mean it's open to littering and that is exactly what you are doing when you shoot clays.

I believe the small print on the sign reads as follows;

Always pick up and remove targets, empty shells, and any other debris after you have finished. You can be cited for littering if you leave any debris; for this reason, in the desert region, you are not allowed to use clay pigeons as targets. Even the so-called “biodegradable” clay targets remain indefinitely in the dry, fragile landscape of the desert.

There are two members on this board who found out the hard way that you shouldn't ignore the warning. I'll ping one of them and see if they want to share their story. I don't know what the fine was but I do know they were awarded 24 hours of police call at the pit on Table Mesa Road.

Feedback Score
    Good to know. They never had signs up in years past, and I was never one to leave tons of crap out there. I shoot my steel or cardboard, and pack it out when I'm done. I just enjoyed the occasional round of clays along with it. Well, now I know.

I'd love to see them nail to the wall all the idiots who leave tons of glass and busted appliances behind.

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Feedback Score
    LHS - there was a big cleanup a month back (right at the time they posted the signs) and we pulled 2 drop and go garbage containers full of crap out.

Personally I'm not against clays but it was getting to be a general dumping ground and the gal from BLM said they were forced to completely crack down because of it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    How does one find out when these clean up days occur? I'd like to get in on one.

Quote Originally Posted by harm View Post
    LHS - there was a big cleanup a month back (right at the time they posted the signs) and we pulled 2 drop and go garbage containers full of crap out.

Personally I'm not against clays but it was getting to be a general dumping ground and the gal from BLM said they were forced to completely crack down because of it.

Feedback Score
    The last cleanup was an Eagle Project promoted by the local gun board, gun clubs, BLM and the NRA.

The local gun board does one every spring as we shoot there monthly in the cooler months.

ETA
    I learned about it through the local forum. I'm not sure if its cool to post another forum linked even though its not competitive w M4.

Last edited by harm; 01-21-14 at 13:13.