Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: newbie...coming back home to the M4/AR

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I may have found my AR

I found a guy who will trade me a NIB S&W M&P 15 (standard model w/flat top and carry handle) + $300 for my SOCOM 16. I sounds pretty good to me I looked at the comments about SW here and they seem to get decent reviews (and not too far "right" on that chart either).

It is a 71+ series SN and it seems like most of the SW probs were solved around the 60's...man this site has loads of good info!!!

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

M&P v. ADS

So what are the big differences here? Looks like barrel twist is the biggest although I'm not totally sure what effect that has...I think it impacts what grain ammo you can shoot right?

Assuming I can get the M&P for $900 it still looks like the ADS is a better value right?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior9504 View Post
    So what are the big differences here? Looks like barrel twist is the biggest although I'm not totally sure what effect that has...I think it impacts what grain ammo you can shoot right?

Assuming I can get the M&P for $900 it still looks like the ADS is a better value right?

If you want a 1/7 twist, the ADS is a better setup.

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

1/7 v. 1/9

What is the major impact of the increased twist rate? I believe I heard that when the bullet spins faster it will not tumble as well/as designed upon hitting the target and that you cannot use some gr bullets with a 1/9 is that right?

I'm sure there is a thread here that discusses this but I suck at Forum search engines...get too many hits.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The increased twist rate gives increased stability in flight of the bullet. The M16A1 had a 1:12 twist rate and a 55gr round (M193). The M16A2 / M4 has a 1:7 twist rate (and a heavier barrel, but that shouldnt be an issue today IIRC) with the standard round being 62gr (M855). With a 1:9 you should be able to shoot a 62gr bullet with no problem, but Im not sure about something like a 75gr Hornady TAP. The impact of the rounds may not be all that accurate.

Feedback Score
    I'm told that you shouldn't go over 70gr rounds in a 1:9. I stick to the 55's, though. I won't be shooting long range matches with an M4 anyway. I can still drive tacks at 100-200 yds, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12