Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Steel plates for Targets?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    So I went with holes. "drill holes in AR500" sounds a lot easier than it is-- that's when you find how unGodly tough this stuff really is.
    Yeah. I almost ordered my last three with no holes. But the guy was like... uh.. no... you're not drilling this stuff. They use the plasma cutter or something, and added the holes.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm trying to do the math here, about 8 classes total, avg. maybe 26 guys in a class, we usually put out 4 or 5 targets, say 5, and maybe each guy is putting 50 rounds on steel in that phase of the class so 2080 hits per target sofar since our student never miss :-). But it might be 7 classes and it might be 40 rounds..... I just don't feel like zooming in and counting pockmarks right now but anyway bullet-strike-wise they are holding up very well.

Markm, you did right by not consigning yourself to drilling holes in this stuff. I used a carbide ball end mill to do it to six plates and it was a long and difficult task. Lots of stringy-ass'd blue chips, lots of steam from coolant, lots of resharpening the BEM.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    At about 3K rounds per target, best guess. This is why I did not want targets held by bolts-- although I was able to find Grade 5 carriage bolts, they inevitably get shot away and need replacement. Plus, I have not tested it but anything that interrupts a flat plane, logic tells me, will increase the splat-back hazard. Otherwise this 5/8 AR500 is holding up well. Might be 9/16, I don't remember.... seems like the guy said it would be 9/16 but turned out to be 5/8. Anyway, a boon to longevity for sure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The problem with Class/Training gongs is that they're going to take a substantial diet of 55 gr FMJ which is brutal on Armor/Steel. I bet if you took the exact same scenario with 69-77 gr bullets, the target would look monumentally better.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Let me tell you what my local shooting range does. They go 100-at least 600 yards. At 100 are the standard AR 500 gongs. But from 150 out they use expired oxygen or welding tanks or even empty propane tanks. These are slightly smaller than a human sized target but at this place we have mostly long distance shooters, most have scopes, so it does not matter. When these tanks are hit you can clearly hear a metallic sound. The downside is they have a definite and perhaps short life compared to AR 500. The upside is they are donated and so free.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would suggest for your closer targets get thicker ones and either on slant or chains to decrease direct impact damage. For past 700, get thinner ones that give you a better sound reflection. It’s always good to allow the target to swing which helps spotting hits and decrease wear and tear.

Buy a bunch, they are fun.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    A couple of buddies and I have been using these guys for a few years. Quality items and fair prices with Free Shipping over $100 I think. These targets have holes, most have double ones for hanging. I do like the T-post hanging ideal so will look into that and how I can incorporate that into this style of target. My shooting buddy got a big section of old firehose and that works great for hanging and takes a pretty good beating and then easley replaced.
    https://shootingtargets7.com/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Fire hose is good. Our 750 yard target hangs with fire hose. A right or left side hit with the 300 WM spins that mother beautifully.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I would suggest for your closer targets get thicker ones and either on slant or chains to decrease direct impact damage. For past 700, get thinner ones that give you a better sound reflection. It’s always good to allow the target to swing which helps spotting hits and decrease wear and tear.

Buy a bunch, they are fun.

PB
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Fire hose is good. Our 750-yard target hangs with a fire hose. A right or left side hit with the 300 WM spins that mother beautifully.
    Yea for sure,,it does work darn good! I think my buddy has 100ft or more of it so we are set for a while! I agree on the thicker for close range, we use 1/2 @ 100yrds and closer and use 3/8 starting out @ 400 to 600. That's all we have at the moment, trying for more distance but its tough in our neck of the woods,LOL The 3/8s does ring nice out at those distances. We have one buddy that has a 338 and yea it marks up stuff @ 600 but not to bad but you can tell its been hit with something other than 308/30/06 or my buddies Mosin. He has some wicked old trasers for his Mosin,,those things put out a BIG flash when they hit and blacken the target big time,,but no other damage that a little paint won't fix ! Fun to shoot them just as the sun is going down !

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I love the 1/4" gongs at 750 and beyond. We shot one at 1000 with a fitty cal ball round and it just dented it. The thin gongs are so nice for movement and audible reporting.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast