Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Best Steel plates for Targets?

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    It is possible to drill AR 500, I have done it. It takes a drill press with a speed of less than 150 RPM, a sharp good quality M42 8% cobalt drill bit, cutting oil and last but not least heavy pressure and never release it until the hole is through. If you release pressure you will never get it to start drilling again.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just skimmed but didn't see my two favorites mentioned. ShootingTargets7 and Spartan Armor. For basic gongs, ST7 is hard to beat for quality & price. Sniper's Paradise from Spartan Armor are great fun too. Two of them next to each other give a lot of pistol drill options.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 These (and probably many other similar) are absolute garbage. Do not buy. I saw the price & figured I'd try them out. I have tons of $ tied up in steel targets and as i keep expanding my range the thought of economy targets was appealing. But these are horrible! .223 on the mild side loading ~2600FPS MV) with 55gr Hornady soft points will leave a little divot at 100 yds and they are moving slow enough they should not (same will only knock off paint for ST7 or Spartan steel). Any hits about 1.5" or less from edge leave a deep crater. They obviously change the hardness from laser cutting heat. So I can't answer "what is best?", but can say "what is worst!" and 2 brands that make very good 3/8" steel that hold up very well.
    I can drink a quart of monkey and still stand still...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    On that note, when you get out to 500 yards and out. You don't need any level of quality. We have a target given to us that was made by an idiot. 1-1/2" thick mild steel. Pocks like butter at 100, but at 500 it holds up, and is well out of frag danger range.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    True.....my range only goes to 300 yds & these would probably be fine there...maybe not around the edges though - act like mild steel around perimeter..... Will flip them around & try there....just need to get replacements for 100 yd AR berm. Range has been a work in progress for several years. Always something else to build or add......
    I can drink a quart of monkey and still stand still...

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I have a large sheet of 1/2” hardox 500 (ar500 equivalent) laying around at my shop and access to a waterjet (plasma weakens the edges) might have to try something with it
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 07-23-19 at 15:06.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here's an old one sitting in my garage:

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Update on our 2017 steel. Going strong, far from any eroded-through holes. They are taking a spherical shape from the many impacts..... maybe 9,000 each at this point....? I'm thinking that must be within a thou either way.

I really, really did not want to use through bolts to hang these but my rear-hook attempts didn't work and there just wasn't time to try to refine the things.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    We use the through bolts. I like the ones that are cone shaped because maybe the splatter doesn’t hit as much. But really no big deal, we just replace the bolts. We have several targets bowed up like yours. Really only one that has not are the super thick targets but they don’t ring well past 800 yards.

Yea you beat those up good Ned. Sign of solid work on the range. Well done.

PB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I really, really did not want to use through bolts to hang these but my rear-hook attempts didn't work and there just wasn't time to try to refine the things.
    Been there! I've gone to mostly Carriage Bolts with wire hanger on the back side. We do have a few out at distance that are straight wire hanger through the holes. The hold up ok at long range.

Feedback Score
    I use and highly recommend TA Targets, HQ in Ephrata, PA. I use AR 550 steel....for rifle and pistol. Mounting solutions vary, are easy to set up and I've shot the heck outta mine with no ill effects.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast