Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Best Steel plates for Targets?

Feedback Score
    Glad to hear you had the same result we did.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Yes, I've heard from others that thinner rings more.

So yeah, took thr bolts & chains off the plate, put it on the hook stand I made a while back.

Hell yes, definitely more audible impact, with a nice "RIIIIIINGGG" to it. Which was nice, as we've had heavy fog here, and at 225 yards, through 6x optic, could barely see the white plate, let alone any movement from it. But the impacts were solid and definite.

Did some work from kneeling at 100 also.

So yeah, this thing is just gonna go on a hook from now on.
    3/8" plates can ring like bells.
    1/2" plates do not ring as well by comparison but they do have better endurance.

The location of the hole/mount also matters in how the plate rings. If the mount is in a natural node, the plate will ring nicely. If the mount forces a node to occur in an unfavorable location you'll get more of a thud. Fortunately, plates can vibrate a lot of different ways and its unusual to completely prevent a plate from ringing.

Using bolts is a common mounting design but the plates will be able to ring the best if you don't have to -tightly- clamp the plate to the mounting hardware.
    Leaving the bolt slightly loose (assuming the nut won't spin itself off) is a good compromise that allows the plate the vibrate.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. Our 1000 yard target is 1/4, and it doesn't ring worth a crap because of the stand. We have a 3/8 at 500 which hangs more freely and rings deep due to the massive size (IPSC sized)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's interesting, I hadn't thought of loosening the bolts.

I made a metal hook for this one, used it yesterday on the bamboo stand and yes, rang very well.

Last edited by ViniVidivici; 12-23-23 at 11:22.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    A couple of buddies and I have been using these guys for a few years. Quality items and fair prices with Free Shipping over $100 I think. These targets have holes, most have double ones for hanging. I do like the T-post hanging ideal so will look into that and how I can incorporate that into this style of target. My shooting buddy got a big section of old firehose and that works great for hanging and takes a pretty good beating and then easley replaced.
    https://shootingtargets7.com/
    The state WMA range close to me hangs their plates on t-posts and the shooters wear the posts out. The hangers they use also drop the plates when I shoot then with my M1 The problem is mostly that the posts get shot up, not necessarily an issue with the hangers.

The hangers they use are similar to these:

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The state WMA range close to me hangs their plates on t-posts and the shooters wear the posts out. The hangers they use also drop the plates when I shoot then with my M1 The problem is mostly that the posts get shot up, not necessarily an issue with the hangers.

The hangers they use are similar to these:

I like those little hangers, we have those headshots at 200, 250-300 yards. Great targets and we have not had to replace the stand with "I dont know how many rounds fired". Its no longer a T but it stands. But they only cost like $11.00 or less.

And we have one at about 50 yards at the pistol/carbine range. Good info in this thread.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-28-23 at 15:06.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What is this madness?

So, I've loaded some 62gr soft points (unknown manufacturer, they're pulls from American Reloading), shot some at 100 yards, and they're cratering the steel!

This is what my 62gr FMJ looks like, same 100 yards.

Same charge of 24.4gr H335, same mixed brass. I would have thought the SPs would do LESS damage to the plate, not more!

Yes, I did check these with a magnet.

What gives? It looks like they're being hit with m855!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 01-11-24 at 19:21.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011