Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Steel plates for Targets?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Myself and friends have bought from this site as he is local. So far they have been working out well.

http://lvsteeltargets.com/

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I own a couple plates from jc steel targets. There are group buys on the snipershide from time to time which brings the price down.

Feedback Score
    Another vote for JC Steel Targets. Not only do they make excellent targets, but it supports a GREAT cause. Jake is a great guy that heavily supports our sport along with being a phenomenal shooter himself. Don't hesitate to check them out.

Feedback Score
    Back in the day, we used to get billet steel automobile and truck flywheels from the junkyard for scrap price. They resisted everything but AP bullets.

I doubt that they're a) available anymore, and b) cost-effective.

I buy mine from guys who got tired of humping them back and forth to the range.

mbogo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post

if you are getting small plates, i strongly suggest water jet, not plasma cut.
    Also, don't weld to the target plate, the hardness (which is necessary to resist rifle velocity bullets) near the weld will be ruined.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I'm a believer in MGM.
    Can't say that nobody does as good as they do, just that I have been very happy with them in comparison to others.

For cheap plates, Widener's are pretty good.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just shot up a bunch if ShootSteel 1/2" plates. Handguns including .44 mag at 15 yds splattered but no dents. At .75 yds .223 also splattered and no dents. Finally got a hint of dents with a Mosin. Two hits from the Mosin on the very edge cut a shallow groove which I understand is where the heat treat may be compromised. Overall very impressed.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I bought a steel silhouette from qualitytargets.com based on a member's recommendation. They had the best price overall i found. I'm quite happy with it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Some companies cut their AR500 steel plate with a plain old plasma cutter. That ruins the temper around the edges and you'll eventually get a lot of nicks and gouges from bullet strikes in about a 1 inch circumferential margin. Look for AR 500 that's been cut with underwater plasma or some other technology that leaves the steel's temper alone.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, not all AR500 steel is created equal. There can be a significant difference in AR500 plates from two different companies so you want to make sure you're choosing a quality vendor. Additionally, heat is the enemy when it comes to steel targets so you want to pay attention to how they cut their steel and how they weld it.

Also pay attention to the design of the target. Targets that are angled down at 30 degrees (give or take) are generally safer as they deflect the splatter toward the ground instead of back at you. This downward cant is also better for the target itself as it lessens the force as opposed to hitting straight on. This means longer target life. Targets with smooth faces as opposed to ones with mounting bolts protruding may also be safer and minimize the need for having to replace bolts that get hit too much. However the trade off here is that without mounting bolts, it usually means that a bracket has been welded to the back and then you have the heat concerns to think about.

Consider, also, whether you want a steel base or wood base. Steel usually holds up better although most companies aren't using AR500 steel in their bases. A few are. These obviously hold up better but are more expensive. Wood bases may need to be replaced more often but this helps reduce the price of the overall target...and shipping expense. But you may have to deal with running to Home Depot every now and then. I've also seen a couple companies sell a steel protector plate for the 2x4. It's probably worth it to get one of these for $10 or $15. You can, of course, build your own stands.

Pay attention to the design of the stand. If you've got your own range at home, it probably doesn't matter. But if you're going to be lugging these things around, you want something sturdy, compact and easy to setup.

Two companies to look at are Action Target. Their Evil Roy line is wonderfully portable. Targets are good quality and customer service is solid although they can be hard to contact. I have a few of their targets and had a couple of issues. They took care of me, no problem. But they were a little hard to contact...really busy and a bit under staffed...Not an unwillingness to help (my impression).

Also Nutnfancy has a 15% discount code for them.

Second company is MGM. I don't own any of their stuff personally but have friends that do. Many people swear by them too.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast