Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Steel plates for Targets?

Feedback Score

Best Steel plates for Targets?

If you want "just the plates" at a good price (no stands) try Widener's.

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=1020%7C1023

They sell rifle plates, round plates, or a "variety pack" of several sizes. I bought the 3/8" AR500 variety pack and it has held-up very well to my abuse: 5.56, 30-06, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x54r, etc. anywhere from 60 yards to 150 yards. The harder stuff like Mosin ammo can leave a small pockmark but nothing serious, as long as you don't try to bring it too close.

The plates never break but the mounting bolts will be your weak point, use Grade 5 or better fasteners. I use a wood sawhorse for my stand.

Here's another hint: if you want to use them for both long-rage rifle and short-range pistol use, dedicate some to rifle use and only use them for rifle ranges because once the surface is used for Rifle it's not perfect-enough for short pistol ranges anymore. What I do is paint the "front" vs "back" different colors, i use one side for high-powered rifle and preserve the "back" side for pistol range use. Even with 7.62x54r (Mosin rifle) I've never had one hit hard-enough that it ever deformed the back-side.
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 11-14-13 at 09:36.

Feedback Score
    Hang Fast Targets has a unique concept for hanging the target plates. Very reactive and simple to hang multiple targets on one T post. Laser cut AR500 3/8 steel. The single mounting bolt really allows the plate to RING too.
    hangfasttargets.com

Feedback Score
    Tacstrike

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SurplusShooter View Post
    If you want "just the plates" at a good price (no stands) try Widener's.

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=1020%7C1023
    I've used these and still have some. The problem with these plates is they are plasma cut. The mounting holes are 1/2" on one side but just under 3/8" on the other. This is typical of most plasma cut plates. Additionally, plasma is much hotter than laser so there is a certain amount of annealing on the outer edges.

Feedback Score
    *First Post - New Member*
    Anyone have any experience with Steel Ops targets? I'm trying to find a non-biased review from someone who's actually bought and used one. I like the design but thats a lot of cash to drop on a piece of steel. Your feedback is appreciated and sorry if the question has already been asked somewhere.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Their T4 target at 99.00 seems like a good deal IF you just want a pistol target. It is 3/8 but I imagine the solid mount wouldn't stand up to a steady diet of rifle.

I paid 60.00 for my 3/8" 2/3 IPSC plates; 20.00 for the hanger; 37.80 for steel 'H' bases; and scrap price for angle uprights (easy to find at any scrap yard I've been to).

You can get by with 2/4 uprights and 2x4 'H' bases but they will get chewed up.

In terms of hills/uneven terrain you can drive a t-post and get/make t-post hangers.

At the end of the day, I think you are paying for the mounting system and 550 versus 500 steel. http://www.actiontarget.com/the-trut...steel-targets/

JM .02

ETA: they also don't specify how they cut the steel.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 02-07-17 at 11:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Their T4 target at 99.00 seems like a good deal IF you just want a pistol target. It is 3/8 but I imagine the solid mount wouldn't stand up to a steady diet of rifle.

I paid 60.00 for my 3/8" 2/3 IPSC plates; 20.00 for the hanger; 37.80 for steel 'H' bases; and scrap price for angle uprights (easy to find at any scrap yard I've been to).

You can get by with 2/4 uprights and 2x4 'H' bases but they will get chewed up.

In terms of hills/uneven terrain you can drive a t-post and get/make t-post hangers.

At the end of the day, I think you are paying for the mounting system and 550 versus 500 steel.

JM .02
    Thanks for the feedback. I didnt even realize there was a difference in the steel. Glad you mentioned that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I didnt even realize there was a difference in the steel. Glad you mentioned that.
    No problem I use these guys for metal and hangers:

https://www.ar500targetsolutions.com/#features

And these guys for bases:

http://redstitchtactical.com/target-bases.html

I face the 2x4's with angle.

Feedback Score
    Hang Fast Targets makes it so easy I'm not sure why anyone would spend all that time with angles, 2 x 4's chains and straps. T posts are like 5 bucks and Home Depot has them..... tough as nails

Pound in the post, hang the target and shoot... KISS

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by vinconco; 02-07-17 at 18:06.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinconco View Post
    Hang Fast Targets makes it so easy I'm not sure why anyone would spend all that time with angles, 2 x 4's chains and straps.

Pound in the post, hang the target and shoot... KISS

[IMG][/IMG]
    Mostly because I don't own property that I can shoot on. My local range might get shitty if I keep leaving holes in the turf downrange.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast