Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dedicated .22 LR Upper Recommendations?

Feedback Score

Dedicated .22 LR Upper Recommendations?

I'm in the market for a dedicated .22LR upper, but I honestly don't know very much about which brands are good and which I should stay away from. I plan to use this upper for a considerable percentage of my practice shooting, so it needs to be durable and well made. I would also like it to be similar in weight and balance to a Noveske N4 Light Recce/Recon upper (no lightweights). Mainly I'm just looking to practice target acquisition, trigger control, and magazine changes, so I don't need a functional forward assist, although I would like the bolt to lock back on the last round. 2MOA accuracy (1" at 50 yards) or better with quality ammo preferred.

What are my options? I would like to keep the price around $500 or less... That seems to rule out assembling my own upper in this instance, unless someone can point me in the direction of the parts I need at really great prices. I've been looking at this CMMG upper, but I really don't know anything about them. The nitrided barrel really gets my attention, but I'm curious about the "ceramic coated" upper receiver... does that mean it's not anodized first?

So what do you guys recommend?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    CMMG and Tactical Solutions are the only two companies I can think of. (Aside from junk peddlers like Model1 Sales, etc.)
    Spike's used to make .22lr uppers, I don't think they do anymore.

Most here would recommend a S&W 15-22.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    CMMG and Tactical Solutions are the only two companies I can think of. (Aside from junk peddlers like Model1 Sales, etc.)
    Spike's used to make .22lr uppers, I don't think they do anymore.

Most here would recommend a S&W 15-22.
    Thanks for the reply. I am not considering the M&P 15-22 because it is complete rifle, it's lighter than I want, and I cannot mount the upper to a standard AR lower (i.e. mine). I want trigger time with the Geissele SD-E.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I hear you.
    I'm in the same boat.

Last summer I finished an 80%.
    Trouble is, I botched the hammer and trigger holes.
    Expensive lesson learned there, but instead of tossing the 80%, I decided it would be worth it to turn in into a dedicated .22lr.
    It may or may not work, but it's worth a shot.
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger89 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I am not considering the M&P 15-22 because it is complete rifle, it's lighter than I want, and I cannot mount the upper to a standard AR lower (i.e. mine). I want trigger time with the Geissele SD-E.
    I've had a Tactical Solutions upper for 2-3 years and am more than happy with it. At the present time it is on a BCM lower with an ALG ACT trigger.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Actually my Model1 10.5 inches has run great on Federal bulk pack

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    I've had a Tactical Solutions upper for 2-3 years and am more than happy with it. At the present time it is on a BCM lower with an ALG ACT trigger.
    How's it running and how's the accuracy?
    Does it like Mini Mags?

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)

Weight

There is ways to add weight to an M&P 15-22. A piece of bars tick in the hollow buffer tube goes a long way. Any AR trigger will also drop into place on the M&P as well.

However, there are quality uppers out there. I think polymorpheous nailed them.

That said I'm a proud owner of the M&P 15-22 and have yet to find more enjoyable .22lr to shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    How's it running and how's the accuracy?
    Does it like Mini Mags?
    Without any "controlled tests" I would classify accuracy as very good. I usually shoot it at 25 and 50 yd. distances. I don't use "Mini Mags" as it's almost exclusively shot with Federal "brown box" ammo.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have had moderate success with a CMMG setup.
    I would not recommend it for anything other than cheap fundamental practice. Have had countless failures to extract and a few failures to feed. Recommend BlackDog magazines over the CMMG mags.

My precision varies greatly with ammo, as does function.
    The best blend of accuracy, reliability, and cost seems to be Federal AutoMatch.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast