Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Your Training "Short List"

Feedback Score
    Update to my list... my 2009 dance card is starting to fill!

1) Magpul Dynamics - Dynamic Carbine 1 - May 2009
    Even though this is billed as a "basic" course, I am really looking forward to it, if only to get exposure to a different instructor/PoV/methodology with regard to the carbine. It will be interesting to compare this course with others I've taken previously, and see what I can adapt from it into my personal TTPs.

2) Pat Rogers/EAG Tactical - Pistol Level 2 - July 2009
    This kills two birds with one stone for me; I wanted to get back to some pistol instruction next year, since I've spent the past few years focusing on the carbine and other skill sets. I also wanted to train with EAG again, since I always learn something and have a good time in Pat's courses. I didn't think I would get the chance in '09, then he announced this course, and in my own backyard to boot! It's like it was meant to be...

I could probably still shoehorn a third course in the fall; we'll see what pops up.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I honestly did not know that Pat Rogers taught anything other than carbine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    I honestly did not know that Pat Rogers taught anything other than carbine.
    While the carbine courses (including the 3-day operators course, the AK variant of same, and the 4-day tactical course) remain EAG's bread and butter, it looks like Pat is starting to branch out. He has added Level 1 and Level 2 Pistol courses beginning next year, as well as a 2-day Basic Carbine course.

Of course, these are just the "open" courses; I have no idea what sorts of training EAG might provide for its .mil and .gov contract clients. Pat and his AIs certainly have a diverse enough experience base on which to draw.

Pat taught the pistol portion of the ITOG Urban Conflict Resolution course for a few years; I liked what I saw there. His pistol methodology seems to mesh very well with what I was initially taught and have been practicing for the last decade or so.
    Last edited by shooter521; 11-21-08 at 09:14.

Feedback Score
    1) Threat Solutions Group - "Basic Rifle"
    2) Threat Solutions Group - "Basic Pistol"
    3) Bushido Tactical - "Defensive Rifle"

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would like to take a couple more classes with LAV.
    I also would like to take a class with Tigerswan.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I took Jeff Gonzales's of Tricon Concepts* CP-1 pistol course last fall at Sig. The course is 8am to 5pm (with a very short break for lunch) over two days and approx 1,500 rnds. This was a great all around foundational combat handgun course that pushes your equipment and skill hard. Jeff is a great teacher and no BS individual, and I was happy I didn't embarrass myself at his course.

At around 1000rnds, the slide release lever on my 1911 broke, so it would not lock back when it was empty. Had to run it that way 'til the break, then went to a back up (gotta have a backup for such courses!) and was GTG from there.

I have heard complaints about ACT-mags and their crappy base plates. I never had any issues with them, but they were being dropped on dirt at the IDPA matches I competed in vs concrete. I had 3 ACT mags hit the concrete floor during this course, and the base plates completely shattered with springs flying, etc.

Only got my ass chewed out once, which is a record for me...

Course was an A+ for me, and I suspect everyone who attended, mostly LEO it seemed. My hands are sore as shi$, one gun is broke, down 3 mags, my back hurts, and it was all worth it.

If Jeff comes to your area, or within range (2 guys drove 7 hours up from Jersey) take a course with Jeff, you won't be sorry.

* = www.tridentconcepts.com

I hope to take courses with Larry V, more from Jeff G, Black Water, and others. Too bad uncle Sam or some dept is not covering the $$$$ for such learning....
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Suarez
    Farnam
    Vladimir Vasiliev (H2H)
    maybe Yeager
    Last edited by Jack-O; 02-14-09 at 15:24.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    This spring/summer, I'll be attending Tactical Handgun through Defensive Edge and Dynamic Carbine through Magpul Dynamics. Can't wait!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Todd, Long Range International, and Magpul Dynamics.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In no real order.

Larry Vickers because of the knowledge and experience that he has and would bring to the class. And in a round about way he got me interested in "tinkering" with 1911's.

U.S. Training Center because they seem to have good facilities and variety of courses.

Basically, anyone who won't be a waste of my time and money.
    "...but on the surface it looks like a Satan sandwich." Rep. Emanuel Cleaver

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789