Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outside water storage.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    I've been on several job sites where the oil tanks popped several feet out of the ground before they were filled. This is in fresh soil with no compaction set in yet, a high water table, heavy rain and poorly drained soils. It dosn't happen when your in ground tank starts to run low, you need just the right combination of factors.

Feedback Score

Water barrels and cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Triad Tactical View Post
    Ships float, States regulate....

Anyone have or had issues with freezing?
    At my previous residence in Portland, we had installed fourteen 55-gallon rain barrels that we used for all of our drinking water, washing, flushing of toilets, and gardening. We filtered around 3 gallons of drinking water each day. During the coldest winter months, the barrels would freeze. Fortunately, they froze from the top down and our taps were low enough to keep running.

We have since relocated to a much more mountainous and cold area, and the following are steps we will take when we install new rain barrels.

1st - The new barrels will be the fully opening style with a metal lid band. This will make cleaning any algae or leaves out much easier. It will also allow the user to take the lid off and break up any ice that might form with an ice axe or sturdy pole.

2nd - The barrels we used were re-purposed soy sauce barrels in blue and clearish white. We will paint all of our new barrels black to take advantage of solar warming during the day. It sounds like a minor thing, but I'm certain it will have a dramatic effect. Our solid blue barrels froze much slower than the white translucent ones.

3rd - We've used both plastic and metal adapters for the spigot, but we'll use the metal type exclusively next time. Primarily because my son stood on one of the plastic ones and caused a flood in our back yard, but I also think they would stand up to freezing better.

4th - The spigots can and do freeze shut, so use caution and don't force them. The sun will usually thaw them by midday, but I don't have a great answer for this one.

5th - We'll be thoughtful about the barrel stand location to take full advantage of the sun's warmth.

If you have the cash, I'd think a buried cistern would work best, but we have really been pleased with our humble little set up.

Feedback Score
    HaydukeOR,

Thanks for the thoughts. Metal spigots makes lots of sense. I have to stay above ground due to elevation/flow issues if I don't. Did a little googling in the last few days. Found a neat idea on a livestock tank site. Build an insulated box around the tank and paint it black. South side of tank has a clear material that acts like a window to allow sun to heat the enclosure.
    Steve.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My plastic 55 Gallon water barre has been frozen solid several times and hasn't crack or split yet. I only fill it about 80% full though. I'm worried right now because I may have over-filled this summer, and it's frozen solid right now and seems a little bulged.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12