Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do I really need a defensive shotgun? Convince me....

Feedback Score
    870.jpg

Sorry. basic 870with tube extension, plastic furniture. For someone on a tight budget, this along with a 9mm pistol would make a good start.
    Last edited by Pi3; 11-09-13 at 22:57. Reason: mistake

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    i like dating homeless girls.
    when you're done with them
    you can drop them off anywhere

Colt 6920(x2, soon to be 3), Glock 30s (×2), gen 4: 19,21.
    m70ab2 u/f, wasr

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm a rifle operator and it feels like I should pay someone when I get to train with it on the city's dime since it's so fun. With that being said, the shotgun is a more advanced weapon system in terms of manipulation and fundamentals when shooting at 50 yards. Getting to watch a good shot gun operator is a pleasure and commands respect. My rifle is still my go to gun, but I would still love to punch a big whole in a rampaging bag guy with an 870p. If your willing to get some training on a shotgun then it's a good purchase. A bonus is rounds will be available and it's something you can pass on to your kids. I would just get it anyways since more guns in your safe is a bonus. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    I agree with the consensus that they are not necessary if you have a quality AR, but a nice tool to have if you want to get one.

I primarily hunt, but have also been wanting to add a defense shotgun, so I got the Mossberg 500 defense/field combo. It has an 18.5" defense barrel, but also comes with a 28" field barrel that takes about 20 seconds to swap. I keep it in defense configuration and train with it like that, but then swap the barrel when I want to hunt. I like the versatility a lot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skatz11 View Post
    There's a place for it, but I don't think it's a must have. One more tool in the box, or club on the golf bag.

I think a shotgun makes a great post up and wait weapon in you're dealing with potential home invasion and your family is secure with you.

No need to invest big money for a defensive shotgun. A Mossberg or Remington with an 8 round tube and a velcro'd elastic shell caddy on the receiver is all you really need.
    +1

If you have an AR and a sidearm, you really don't need a shotgun, unless you want one.

But for the prices of shotguns and ammo right now, it is a good investment. You can buy a Mossberg500 8-shot capacity for $299 and have plenty of money left over for ammo and accesories. If you just want a basic HD shotgun, this is want I recommend (or the 870)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well the problem solved itself. I was at a gun show this past weekend and saw a Benelli Supernova tactical with the magazine tube extension for $350. I'm happy with the purchase. I know it's not an 870, but they have a good reputation and for the use in mind it fills my needs. If I ever get the time and money I would like to compete in some 3 gun tournaments, so it made sense to have a shotgun. It can pull backup home defense in the meantime.

Thanks for all the opinions guys!
    A work in progress, check epitaph for results.

Si Succiderit, De Genu Pugnat

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
    My only issue with the BOT test that the walls are so close together. I'd like to see a test done using typical home construction such that two walls are a 2x4 width apart and the a second wall 10 or 12 feet away. Stacking numerous walls closely really doesn't tell us much more....

This is the better comparison: LINK
    Last edited by streck; 11-11-13 at 09:08.
    Daniel

Never send a nail to do a screw's job.

Feedback Score
    1. Duck hunting
    2. Breaching
    3. ....Uuuhhhh that's all I've got.

Feedback Score
    Its a tool, not a requirement, but along with a handgun, rifle, etc. It could be argued that any one item (rifle, pistol, etc.) could be 'made do' without. In my defense scenario, the shotty is there as much for four legged as two legged vermin. I have much more confidence on nailing a yote running out of the chicken coup with my shotgun (loaded with buck) than I do getting on target with my AR. Now that being said, I could do fine with the AR and more practice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am not a professional weapons person but I think that a properly set up shotgun and pistol would be excellent for home defense. I am planning to get an 870 for that purpose one day. I would set it up to suit the purpose but I would not want it to look "tactical". A KAC would be a good choice too but if I ever had to use it (Lord...I hope not) the police will take it and that would be painful.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345