Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I really need a defensive shotgun? Convince me....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Do I really need a defensive shotgun? Convince me....

If we remove the hunting aspect, please inform me why I should add a defensive shotgun to my gear.

Let's just assume I have a DD Midlength AR15 set up properly, a reliable handgun (or two) and the proper gear that goes along with them. Seriously, I'm not asking about buying more for those firearms, I'm set.

Feel free to get crazy with your own personal reasons (TEOTWAWKI, Gun Bans, Russians/Chinese/Alien invasion, Stephen Kings The Stand, whatever). I just want reasonable reasons for owning a defensive shotgun, the value of owning one, and your personal opinion on why I should add one.

I have a shotgun dedicated to hunting already, and I would really like to add a defensive oriented shotgun to my kit for future training/use, but I can't justify the cost/value in my own head... This is the Shotgun forum, convince me.
    A work in progress, check epitaph for results.

Si Succiderit, De Genu Pugnat

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    There's a place for it, but I don't think it's a must have. One more tool in the box, or club on the golf bag.

I think a shotgun makes a great post up and wait weapon in you're dealing with potential home invasion and your family is secure with you.

No need to invest big money for a defensive shotgun. A Mossberg or Remington with an 8 round tube and a velcro'd elastic shell caddy on the receiver is all you really need.
    Last edited by skatz11; 11-08-13 at 12:18.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    No you don't need one, but as stated above a nice 870 with an extended tube isn't much and you never know when it could come in handy for a specific use beyond training and/or defense. If you look hard enough you should be able to find one for about $400+.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After about 2500 rounds and a Defensive Shotgun class, my Benelli M4 is an expensive safe queen. To answer your question, you don't need one.

Feedback Score
    Even all decked out (synthetic stock w/pistol grip, extended magazine, sling and mounts, high-visibility sights), you're only out a few hundred dollars, and the gun can be converted back to a 'sporting' gun anytime.

You can always find 12 gauge ammunition, regardless of threatened 'AW' bans which cause shortages of 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 9mm, .45ACP, .22LR, et al. Even if you build on a 20 gauge for reduced recoil, the ammunition is widely available.

mbogo

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not a must have in my opinion, but another tool in the tool box. One thing to consider, during the ammo panic, the only ammo easily found around here were all forms of 12 gauge shells.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I converted my old 870 defender recently. I sorta wanted a "tactical" shotgun, but couldn't really justify the expense. Put a Hogue short LOP stock and a reddot on it first and later replaced the barrel with a 20" vent-rib rem choke barrel. I would prefer it shorter, but I like the chokes.. It shoots good now..
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I sold my 12ga to my father in law about a year ago. I am sure I will get it back someday. Big, heavy, lots of recoil. They do have there place but it was always about the last gun I would have picked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuvuah View Post
    ...lots of recoil.
    Were you using slugs, buckshot, or magnum loads?

The heaviest load I would use inside the house would be those used for turkey hunting. They have hundreds of pellets compared to buckshot (as few as 9 pellets), recoil somewhat less and the individual pellets will not over penetrate.

mbogo

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogo View Post
    The heaviest load I would use inside the house would be those used for turkey hunting. They have hundreds of pellets compared to buckshot (as few as 9 pellets), recoil somewhat less and the individual pellets will not over penetrate.
    FYI not penetrating walls = not penetrating bad guys enough.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...Heavy-birdshot
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    It is a cheap Airsoft quality Eotech half ass knockoff- I just had a student with one in a basic class about a month ago and it laid down faster than a cheap hooker

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast