Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rainier Arms mountain series

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I shot several thousand through my 18" with rifle gas. Ran on setting 6 from full closed (out of 15) on my SLR rifle works gas block with an LMT e-carrier and A5H4 buffer. Literally never had a malf. I sold it to a buddy in favor of Faxon's lighter gunner profile.

Buddy is still using it and it still runs like a scalded dog. Smooth shooter, too.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'm resuscitating this thread rather than starting a new one. Rainier has the mountain chf barrels at a VERY attractive price right now. Is there any reason I should avoid the 18" rifle gas barrel for a "SPR" type build? Use would be 90% range, 10% hunting (deer/coyote) and scaring prairie dogs.

Thanks
    Andy

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I think Rainier Arms has an excellent track record with their CHF barrels and their other precision line. If I could find one shorter I would definitely buy it at its current price. They also have an excellent customer service. I would absolutely not hesitate to buy one if it suits your purpose even for a hard use, not just a range toy.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I'm resuscitating this thread rather than starting a new one. Rainier has the mountain chf barrels at a VERY attractive price right now. Is there any reason I should avoid the 18" rifle gas barrel for a "SPR" type build? Use would be 90% range, 10% hunting (deer/coyote) and scaring prairie dogs.

Thanks
    Andy
    Last edited by alx01; 03-03-19 at 16:18.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Thanks
    Andy
    For your application, I'd argue that's a pretty ideal setup.
    I wouldn't consider rifle length to be a drawback for that - only way to cause issues is to run underpowered .223 on a heavy buffer setup, even then it'll actually run well if clean/lubed well.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thank you, alx01 and TehLlama

It will replace the 20" Faxon Gunner barrel I am currently running (which is going to be used in an A1 ish build)

The rifle will have an A5H2 buffer with a standard rifle recoil spring.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-04-19 at 15:52.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I love my 16” upper with the Mountain series barrel. Very accurate and I like the profile. As mentioned, Rainiers Customer Service is top notch.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    An update - I ordered a "standard weight" 18" Mountain Series barrel from Rainier Arms and mated it with a .750 Troy gas block, ALG rail, and BRT linear compensator.
    I zeroed the rifle today with Hornady 75 gr 5.56 at 100 yards and shot some mild 55 gr handloads and Norma 55 gr .223.
    The barrel definitely has potential, but I was not shooting my best. I would pull one shot from each 5 shot group (knowing I pulled it) and have the other 4 rounds touching each other. I shot a 10 round group with 8 rounds into one big hole and two called shots an inch away in different directions - very frustrating.
    The rifle was problem free and oh so nice to shoot with an A5H2 buffer and rifle action spring. Scope is a Vortex 2.5-10x32 PST.

Post Script - I just saw on Rainier's site that the gas port on the 18" barrels is .089.

Cell phone pic at the range with my LMT carbine:

Last edited by AndyLate; 03-17-19 at 14:08.

Feedback Score
    Nice rifle(s). Good to hear you think they have good potential for accuracy, I bought some of the 16 inch mid weight uppers and had some 13 inch Mk8 G rails installed. Now just waiting on the gen 2 viper PST. 1-6
    Last edited by SwampYankee; 03-17-19 at 00:10.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    with my LMT carbine:
    Let’s Make Trannys great again.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345