Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Break my Wilson Combat CQB Elite

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Arpent View Post
    I am relatively certain that RemOil being a crap lubricant IS the point of using it, in a "break my XXXX" test.
    I have to agree with this gentleman.
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    ...When the Wilson fails, will it be blamed on the pistol or the oil used?
    And why clean it or do any maintenance at all if you want to "break it". I just don't see this as useful for Wilson or any other 1911. YMMV

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Well I don't think lack of cleanliness will "break" a 1911. I think it'll cause malfunctions. Tolerances and timing critical for reliability. Wipe those out and problems manifest.

Mr Bell, out of curiosity, did you take any measurements on any of the major fitting points?
    Last edited by Shorts; 11-11-13 at 06:21.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Chief how do you feel they upped their game?
    Depends upon how you look at it, I suppose. The degree of customization possible today seems to be what a great many customers are now responding to, as evidenced by the ever-increasing backlog associated with actually getting a gun built. From my vantage point, however, it is the quality of the guns themselves that has really made the difference. Wilson's began making their own frames and slides well over a decade ago, but their more recent investments in tooling and machinery have been substantial, and this has not only allowed them to improve base components, but also to re-spec the internal components used in every build. For example, their premium line of BulletProof parts are now standard throughout the line, and have been for about a year now, if memory serves.

Build quality, which has always been high, has only improved with time as well. They have a very-focused training and mentorship program for their pistol smiths, an incredible experience base from which draw and an uncompromising emphasis on quality that you don't typically find in a "shop" environment; especially one producing these guns in any kind of volume. One might expect the bench time per gun to suffer a bit when the need to fill orders reaches these levels, but we really haven't seen that happen.

Taken together, when you consider the quality going into the guns and the manner in which they are crafted, Wilson's has found a way to leverage strengths that no peer competitor can really bring to bear. My own 1911 interests in recent years have admittedly migrated more towards old Colts and the work of individual craftsmen like Harrison and Yost, but I've owned a number of Wilson Combat 1911s in the past, still carry a SDS regularly and am only-too-pleased to give credit where it is due.

Were I in the market for a best-in-class shooter right now that represents everything a 1911 can be, I don't think I would look much further than a Wilson CQB. You can certainly spend less and get a good 1911. You can easily spend more and get a true museum piece. The CQB just represents something special in terms of the balance that it strikes between performance and refinement, and it is for this reason that I tend to point folks to it as a benchmark 1911.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Picked up a set of laser grips today. Obviously, they don't fit the magwell but they are functional. I basically won't fool with a gun I can't mount laser grips on.

I also picked up a Blackpoint Tactical hybrid holster. I wore it on a trip to Columbus and it is fairly comfortable. More to come next week.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    Is there any legitimate reason to to do a retarded "2K round challenge"? Do it to your AR and we'll call it junk when it don't make it.
    Most guns can pass a 2k test just fine. Including ARs.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Awesome!!! I'm looking forward to see how this turns out. Hope you break it
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    Greg, if you really want to break it, just let your buddy Shane shoot it. He can break an iron anvil with a rubber mallet!

Feedback Score
    I always like these types of threads, it's nice to see people using instead of collecting and posting pics. I happened upon a used CQB a while back in OD green for 2K, I shoulda, shoulda........grrrrr. It was gone the day after I saw it.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

600 (200 more)

Hey guys,

Interesting day with the Wilson. 50 rounds were fired at the 50 and 75 yard gongs. 150 rounds were fired doing a combination of (all from a draw with the Surefire timer app going on the iPhone)

1. Draw and fire one, then two and then three shots at 21 and 30 feet.
    2. Draw and fire two shots as fast as possible from concealment.
    3. 1,2, 3 at 21 and 30 walking sideways.
    4. Weak handed drills. (just a few).
    5. Back and forth.

Right under the 500 round mark I had a round fail to feed from a fresh mag when I dropped the slide using the slide release lever. I made note of the mag (#1) using the awesome mag numbering on the bottom of the mag and went on. Two mags later (#2) had the same issue. Time to clean! At this point the gun had never been open or cleaned. This is actually what you are supposed to do according to the manual so get off my back cleaning Nazis!

The inside was very filthy. At this point the gun had a fair number of nasty GA Arms reloads through it, and the powder is quite filthy. A good amount of crud had built up under the barrel and around the breech face. I took the gun apart, cleaned it with a brass brush and Rem-oil, and put her back together. After that I fed 75 more AA and 25 Golden Sabers with no further issues.

I also used my new "Blackpoint Tactical" holster. It is basically a Kydex holster with leather wings. It seems to be of comparable quality with the other $$ kydex holsters on the market. It cost $79 and Chuck's Gun and Pawn. I basically bought it because it was there--but I see no reason to replace it. Like all Kydex, it is a little rough on the finish, but you can imagine how much I care about that.

Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    You'd have to have some seriously trash ammo to cause a FTFeed due to powder fouling ever, much less 500 rounds.

Looks like you have a mag issue. It's not common, but it does happen. I have a brand new WIlson 47 with one feedlip that is clearly mis-shaped. It runs, but will go back at some point.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast