Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable handgun grip size - which insert did you choose, and why?

Feedback Score

Adjustable handgun grip size - which insert did you choose, and why?

I recently purchased a Glock 17 Gen 4, and I have also owned a S&W M&P9.

I don't have particularly beefy hands, and wear size 9/Large gloves. On both of these guns, I have chosen the largest insert, as it leaves me with more room to place my support hand for better recoil management.

Anyone else do this, or is my theory way off?
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I shoot a medium to small grip. I also have large hands and always liked a large grip. When the USMC switch from the 1911 to the M9 I was one that loved the large grip of the Beretta. I put a Hogue slip on my issued Glock 17 years ago to make it thicker. A few years ago the large grip on my issue P2000 was peeling so bad one of the instructors on the line told be to go have it changed. All they was medium inserts on hand. So I said fine put it on until I can get another large. I went back to qualify after the grip change and shot my first 300 with the P2000. So after five years of carrying the P2000 I found out I shoot better with the medium grip. I decided to get some VZ grips for my CZ75 to make the grip thinner and I now shoot that better too. I also have a M&P I started with the medium grip based on the P2000 experience. I switched to a small insert when I bought a starburst pattern stippled grip and shoot that about the same as a non stippled medium. I don't understand it, the large grip feels better to me but I shoot better with the medium sized insert. David
    Last edited by dwhitehorne; 11-10-13 at 18:31. Reason: non speller

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post

Anyone else do this, or is my theory way off?
    If it works for you, I'd say your theory is right on the money.

For my P30, I typically use the small inserts. I tried them out to see how they felt and I do better with the small vs. the large. On my Glock 17 gen 4 I left it without the add-ons but installed the grip force adapter. I wear size 12 or 13 gloves and I think the more narrow grips works better inside the meatiness of my palm if that makes sense.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I always go with the standard insert.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    I have medium-sized hands, and went with no grip insert on my Gen4 G19 and G34. Coupled with an enlarged mag release and slide stop, it's just about perfect.

Edit: I just measured my hands for some skd alpha gloves, and they're 7.5" wrist to tip of middle finger, and 8.5" around the palm. I always use no insert/smallest insert on pistols so I can reach the mag release and controls properly.
    Last edited by 1911-A1; 11-12-13 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    I have slightly large hands depending on glove type size XL XXL. On my Gen 4 G17 and Gen 4 G21 no backstrap, but on my M&P 9 I go with the medium. I have never really given the backstraps a chance on the Glock as I don't like the engineering. I have tried the all sizes on the M&P and just felt the medium worked best for me...

Feedback Score
    I wear L to XL gloves and I too have found using the small grips in my M&P 9 works best for me.
    We are the first Warrior class in any Civilization to be provided with weapons and no belief system...... Dave Smith

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Depends on the gun. With my full size M&P the small grip felt the most comfortable, but I shot best with the large. However, with the M&P compact I shot best with the medium. Take all the grips to the range and see what works best with live fire--it might be different than what you think feels best at home.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by StrikerFired View Post
    I wear L to XL gloves and I too have found using the small grips in my M&P 9 works best for me.
    Ditto, I have XL hands but short fat fingers. Sig 226 with short trigger works, XDm with med and M&P9 with small.
    Last edited by RWH24; 11-11-13 at 12:18.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    I prefer medium on every pistol I've gotten to experiment with (PPQ, M&P, Glock Gen 4).

On my current pistols:
    (2011) Glock 19 Gen 4, Medium
    (2013) Glock 23 Gen 4, Medium w/beavertail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast