Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 18" Rifle Length Gas Barrel Options?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

18" Rifle Length Gas Barrel Options?

I'm slowly acquiring components for an SPR-ish build but it seems that 18" rifle length gas barrels are usually out of stock. I'm hoping for 1.5-2 moa accuracy at 400-600 yards using factory match ammunition, so is there anything from the following list you guys would avoid? They're all within $100 or so of each other, so I'm pretty much going to buy whatever becomes available first.

BCM SS410 18"

Centurion Arms MK12

Noveske 18" SPR (intermediate gas)

White Oak Armament SPR

Rainier UltraMatch SPR

JP Supermatch 18"

Is there anything else that I'm missing that might be considered worth the money and/or wait time?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Compass Lake for a Bartlien or Kreiger cut rifled SPR barrel.

Feedback Score
    Black Hole makes some decent ones.

Shot yesterday. 50 VMAX at 100 over AA 2015. 20" standard barrel.

Greg

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wilson-Nordic 18" Rifle Length

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The new Rainier Arms Mountain Series CHF barrels can do that.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You can't go wrong with any of those options. I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but Rainier has the UltraMatch 18" Intermediate in stock and Midway has the Noveske SPR w/ switchblock.

I wanted Noveske for mine, but I found the Rainier UltraMatch in stock a few months ago, so I jumped on it. My 18" Rainier UltraMatch Intermediate shoots ~1 MOA with Mk262 and .6-.7 MOA w/ 77gr handloads, which are still in development. I'm shooting for .5 MOA in the end.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 11-12-13 at 11:24.

Feedback Score
    BCM 18" using Federal 55gr V-Max factory loads 100 yards. It can do better than this if I had a decent rest. I shot this group from a lead sled. If I had used a set of traditional bags, it would do much better.

routine first shot:

rifle:

Last edited by Chorizo; 11-12-13 at 09:01.
    USMC, 21 years and 21 days. But who was counting?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just put together an 18" rifle gas SPR for a friend with a Criterion. Haven't shot it yet, but will report back.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    OP, you have a pretty wide variety there. Your 1.5-2 moa requirement is pretty generous, and I would think that even a standard non SS barrel would be able to meet it. I'm very curious about the new Rainier Mountain series, which look to be very similar to the Centurion CHF and Noveske N4 barrels, but come in 18" length with rifle gas.

Of the ones you listed, the BCM SS410 would probably be the most cost effective for your accuracy requirement. As far as I know, it will exceed it handily and be less expensive than the others. The Centurion MK12 barrel, Noveske SPR, and Rainier Ultramatch are all fantastic barrels- but probably more than you need. I always thought one would need a super awesome match barrel to maintain those numbers at 400-600 yards, but after reading the thread in AR GD where a guy took an iron-sighted factory CHF 20" government upper and consistently hit a man sized target at 1000 with Mk 262, I've come to believe it is most definitely the Indian and not the arrow.

FWIW, the Rainier Ultramatch is a Shilen blank that's been worked over by White Oak. Their Match series was done by Black Hole Weaponry (also mentioned in this thread), and also has good reviews.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I appreciate the replies, and thank you for pointing out some of the other options available, like the compass lake, wilson, and criterion barrels.

I didn't specify sub-moa simply because I will not be shooting the rifle off the bench. It'll be used mostly from unsupported prone, and 3 gun. The intent of finding a good barrel for this build is simply to ensure the accuracy (or lack thereof) is caused by me.

I'm also not overly concerned with the price, as $100-200 extra on a barrel is not a big deal compared to the ammunition costs over the long haul.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast