Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: 18" Rifle Length Gas Barrel Options?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the load info guys!!! I get off tonight at midnight and I have a box of Berger 77's OTM (BTHP), a box of Nosler Custom Comp 77's and Varget waiting on me ( Couldn't find 77 SMK's).

After taking the gun out for its impressive first shots yesterday, I have some high hopes for this UM barrel.

I wanted to get sighted in really quickly and wanted to get a few rounds down the barrel (since barrels seem to shoot better after broken in) before taking my handloads out. So yesterday, in windy 17degree weather, I drove to a patch of woods my family owns about a mile outside the town I live in. I only brought 30 rounds of some crappy walmart stuff (ZQI 5.56) just to get sighted and maybe shoot a couple into the dirt. This ZQI ammo had been so inconsistent/inaccurate out of my 7.62 LMT, that I gave up in the middle of trying sight the irons in (it has been perfectly reliable ammo though). I had never tried the 5.56 variety.

Anyway, below is a pic of two groups I shot after getting an approximate zero with the scope and then the irons. I just want to add that since I had no plans of shooting any groups other than zeroing, I had one of the worst possible rests one could have. Literally, I shot the gun in the back seat of my car with the bipod on the seat, barrel pointing towards/out the rear passenger door. I was sitting in the door jam of the rear drivers side door twisted waist with my feet on the frozen earth. My crosshair was shaking left/right. Target was lasered at 100yds.

Not too shabby for bad ammo and very bad circumstances. I think I'm gonna like this barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GLShooter View Post
    Black Hole makes some decent ones.

Shot yesterday. 50 VMAX at 100 over AA 2015. 20" standard barrel.

Greg
    Hey Greg since you are a pro staff shooter and operate 2 forums for Black Hole I think you are required to state you are affiliated with them in your sig line.
    We wouldn't want everyone here to think you are just a satisfied customer would we?
    Last edited by constructor; 12-17-14 at 11:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I'm slowly acquiring components for an SPR-ish build but it seems that 18" rifle length gas barrels are usually out of stock. I'm hoping for 1.5-2 moa accuracy at 400-600 yards using factory match ammunition, so is there anything from the following list you guys would avoid? They're all within $100 or so of each other, so I'm pretty much going to buy whatever becomes available first.

BCM SS410 18"

Centurion Arms MK12

Noveske 18" SPR (intermediate gas)

White Oak Armament SPR

Rainier UltraMatch SPR

JP Supermatch 18"

Is there anything else that I'm missing that might be considered worth the money and/or wait time?
    These are most commonly used barrels in benchrest comp. and are considered capable of the best accuracy in the world.
    Krieger
    Bartlein
    Broughton
    Benchmark
    Brux
    Lawton
    Hart
    Lilja
    Shilen
    Pac Nor
    Kostyshyn
    Spencer.

Noveske has a relationship with Pac Nor
    WOA uses a lot of Wilson Arms blanks
    BCMs 410 barrels are made by Criterion which was a division of Krieger

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Thanks constructor. I started this thread over a year ago and went with a Noveske last December. It has shot wonderfully for me. I'm hoping to try one of your barrels at some point, as well.

It looks like lots of people are getting good info from this thread, too.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    A few dealers have the MK 12 barrel in Douglas but have 1:8 twist...........not the original 1:7 twist.

Compass Lake Eng has the 1:7...........,.,and a few more.

My Douglas 1:7 really likes the 55gr V Max bullets.
    Last edited by Alaska3006; 12-01-14 at 13:00.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Centurion Arms has real 1:7 Douglas Mk12 barrels:

http://www.centurionarms.com/product...lon--mk12b.htm

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Finally joined Woody's, a new range right near me in Apex, NC. Construction isn't done, but there's an 80% finished 550 yard range. I shot 62gr CBC from Grant and rang the 10" gong at 550 repeatedly with my 18" Noveske SPR barrel. Fun!

Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Anybody have any loads for the ultramatch barrel using 55 vmax a and varget? Or any idea where the node would likely be. I really don't want to start from scratch. Haha

BTW: My ultramatch 18" has been. Shooting incredible. So far it's favorite pills are the Berger 77 OTM.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Onyx Z,

I was looking for this thread to post in it but I saw that moa challenge thread and posted there first. But I'm gonna post it here too. I'm glad you talked me into this barrel.

I think I found the sweet spot for my Ultramatch barrel. all averages are including every bullet shot. I had a couple Flyers that I marked but they were still included In all the averages. this is the best that I have ever shot in my life. first time I've ever used 73 grain Bergers or the 55 grain Vmax. the two groups with the circle around them were two different loads that I screwed up and mixed the bullets with the other load so a couple 25.3's were mixed with 25.0's and vice versa for those 2 groups circled on the right side. I think those 2 groups would have been better if I didn't mix the loads. They even look a Lil out of place compared to the first 4 groups.*

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyboy333 View Post
    Onyx Z,

I was looking for this thread to post in it but I saw that moa challenge thread and posted there first. But I'm gonna post it here too. I'm glad you talked me into this barrel.

I think I found the sweet spot for my Ultramatch barrel. all averages are including every bullet shot. I had a couple Flyers that I marked but they were still included In all the averages. this is the best that I have ever shot in my life. first time I've ever used 73 grain Bergers or the 55 grain Vmax. the two groups with the circle around them were two different loads that I screwed up and mixed the bullets with the other load so a couple 25.3's were mixed with 25.0's and vice versa for those 2 groups circled on the right side. I think those 2 groups would have been better if I didn't mix the loads. They even look a Lil out of place compared to the first 4 groups.*http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Dirtyboy333/20150303_191556_zpsaabiyse4.jpg
    Awesome, glad you are liking it. These ultramatch barrels are easily capable of consistent .5moa groups @ 100 yds. At least both of mine are. But it looks like you are off to a good start. A little more load development and practice and you will see all holes touching.

Were you getting pressure signs with the Berger's/25.4gr Varget? That seems like a pretty stout load.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast