Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 18" Rifle Length Gas Barrel Options?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I appreciate the replies, and thank you for pointing out some of the other options available, like the compass lake, wilson, and criterion barrels.

I didn't specify sub-moa simply because I will not be shooting the rifle off the bench. It'll be used mostly from unsupported prone, and 3 gun. The intent of finding a good barrel for this build is simply to ensure the accuracy (or lack thereof) is caused by me.

I'm also not overly concerned with the price, as $100-200 extra on a barrel is not a big deal compared to the ammunition costs over the long haul.

Again, thanks for the replies.
    I totally get the wanting to make sure its you and not the gun. That said, they are all fantastic performers. My nod would go to BCM (allegedly made by Criterion), Centurion DMR/Mk12 (Douglas, I believe), Noveske (Pac-Nor blanks worked over in house), or Rainier Ultramatch (Shilen blanks worked by White Oak). If you absolutely want the rifle length, which would be my preference as well, then BCM and Centurion come out ahead. Pick whichever one is in stock.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    All of the 18" FN CHF barrels I've put together have been capable of 2.5 MOA accuracy with the right ammo. Except for one that had crown damage from handling somewhere before I got it, it was visible to see. I would say that around 80+% were in your 1.5-2 range.

Feedback Score
    Brownells has the WOA SPR barrel in stock. I ordered one yesterday and used coupon code EB1 and got free shipping.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I have an 18" Noveske SS with a Rifle length gas system and a Switch-Block. It is a laser and I would not anything else for a precision AR platform.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I have an 18" Noveske SS with a Rifle length gas system and a Switch-Block. It is a laser and I would not anything else for a precision AR platform.
    Isn't the rifle length gas version of the Noveske 18" SS pretty rare? I thought that was a custom order item, or at least I haven't seen them available anywhere, nor listed on the Noveske website.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    MTSN is the only place to get them. They are worth it.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    PRI has SPR uppers and variants in stock. They use Douglas barrels.

http://www.precisionreflex.com/Products.aspx?CAT=4824
    http://www.m4carbine.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20651&dateline=1303766618

Feedback Score
    140 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    Just put together an 18" rifle gas SPR for a friend with a Criterion. Haven't shot it yet, but will report back.
    I put mine together using one of these barrels. With Hornady Tap T2, Black Hills MK262 and Federal Gold 77gr it is right at 1MOA(10 round groups) and I'm using a cheap Nikon 3-9 scope I received for free. It took a few hundred rounds to "break in" which I've never had to deal with before. Those first 200-250ish rounds were very inconsistent. I'm very happy with it right now.
    You dig your grave with your fork.

Feedback Score
    I put an 18" Rainier Match barrel in my Mk12 build. It is a fantastic barrel. 1:8 twist and only $250 I believe. Great value and you're not going to notice an accuracy difference between it and the Rainier Ultra Match.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brew View Post
    I put an 18" Rainier Match barrel in my Mk12 build. It is a fantastic barrel. 1:8 twist and only $250 I believe. Great value and you're not going to notice an accuracy difference between it and the Rainier Ultra Match.
    Says who?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast