Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 18" Rifle Length Gas Barrel Options?

Feedback Score
    Rainier says the difference in group sizes is dime size vs nickel size groups. In other words, both barrels will shoot better than you can.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It means that one isn't as accurate as the other.

Dimes are smaller.

Feedback Score
    Whatever makes you feel better. Seems like a waste of money when 95% of the time you won't be able to shoot quarter size groups, let alone nickels or dimes. I'd rather spend the money on ammo than on a barrel that will theoretically shoot 3mm closer groups.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    You really need to educate yourself on precision shooting a bit before regurgitating some third party comment allegedly made by an employee of Rainer.

There are quite a bit of differences between the two barrels, and group size out of a new barrel doesn't really begin to tell the whole story nor is it much of an indication of the total quality of the part.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    You really need to educate yourself on precision shooting a bit before regurgitating some third party comment allegedly made by an employee of Rainer.

There are quite a bit of differences between the two barrels, and group size out of a new barrel doesn't really begin to tell the whole story nor is it much of an indication of the total quality of the part.
    This!

Feedback Score
    There's a lot that could be said here. There's definitely different characteristics between barrels. Ultimate accuracy, reasonable accuracy, and barrel life come up a lot among others. Each of these varies with individuals.

Feedback Score
    Quite a bit of difference? Please educate me on how incredibly different they are.

Match sourced from Wilson blanks. Ultramatch from Shilen blanks with their proprietary rifling. What else?

Feedback Score

18" Rifle Length Gas Barrel Options?

I'm not sure of the direction this thread is going, but I'll add this.
    When I personally look for a barrel, I know what I'm intending of doing. Sure, like everyone, I have an accuracy goal that can vary a lot between builds and everyone can be unique.
    I personally don't like a barrel that fouls a lot, copper and/or carbon. I'd rather shoot than clean for either or both, but that's me.
    Longevity, I don't want to constantly rebuild the upper if I don't have to to get me where I want to be. In reality ammo cost and developing loads is far more expensive than the cost of a barrel.
    If my point came across wrong, I'll apologize in advance. If I can use a CHF chrome lined barrel to get to my accuracy goals, I do it without hesitation. If that can't do it, I'll try a Noveske next to get a longer life with better accuracy for stainless. If that can't do it, accuracy wise, Next up is something in the line of Krieger that can shoot better than me. There's other similar brands that fit these roles as well that I didn't mention, but those are the most personal for me.
    Last edited by tom12.7; 11-15-13 at 18:00.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you want a true medium or medium-light profile barrel, JP or Wilson/Nordic are great choices. I have a Nordic 18" and it shoots very well, sub-MOA 5 shot groups with almost anything I feed it. I like this profile as it is better for walking around with.

The BCM and others are true SPR profile barrels if you prefer a little heavier. Criterion also makes fantastic barrels too for a great $$$ - I have one of their LR308 barrels and accuracy on average hovers around 1 MOA with a variety of loads. It also cleans very easily and does not seem to foul whatsoever.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The criterion 18" HBAR rifle gas is built, but I really only test fired for function and to establish the proper carbine buffer weight. I'll have to report back when it gets to its owner. FWIW, it locked back on last round and ejected at 3:30-4:00 with std carbine buffer and LMT F/A carrier and M 193. H gave me one failure to lock back out of 5, but was first round out of gun.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast