Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unhappy with my M1A

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Unhappy with my M1A

I have been tinkering with it for awhile now. it's really fun to shoot but I'm not getting the accuracy I would like. Should I sell it and replaced it with a scar?

[img] https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-O...2/IMAG0390.jpg[\img]
    Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2
    "If, however, we went but a single generation without the warriors who are willing to confront human aggression every day, then within the span of that generation we would truly be both damned and doomed."
    - Lt. Col. David Grossman, U.S. Army (retired)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    What would you use the SCAR for that you currently do not, or can not use the M1A for? Seems like you can spend a moderate amount of money trying to make the M1A what you wish for it to be, or a lot of money trying to make the SCAR what you hope it might otherwise be. Without knowing the intended role, it is hard to recommend the right tool, though it sounds like you really just want to get a SCAR to be (as opposed to some kind of M1A EBR upgrade).

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfclin073 View Post
    I have been tinkering with it for awhile now. it's really fun to shoot but I'm not getting the accuracy I would like. Should I sell it and replaced it with a scar?

[img] https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-O...2/IMAG0390.jpg[\img]
    Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2
    What kind of accuracy would you like?

The M14/M1A platform is not known for accuracy out of the box. It typically takes several thousand dollars in parts and gunsmith work to make it perform at a high level of accuracy. And then you have to spend more money to maintain it there.

It's certainly good enough for most work, but I would certainly not put it in the same use category as a precision bolt gun. I don't have much experience with the SCAR, but I don't think it would be much better, either.

If you want a precision semi .308, and you're willing to spend the money on something like a SCAR, why not just go with GAP or Larue? Hell, pick up a matched Mega MA-TEN set and build it up yourself with a Rainier Ultramatch barrel. Those would certainly provide you better better accuracy than either the M1A or SCAR.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    SCAR's going to get you a free floated barrel and ergonomics designed for optics right out of the box, along with light weight.

I abandoned my M1A a decade ago and have never missed it.

H

Feedback Score
    How much would you get selling your M1A?
    How much would it cost to upgrade your M1A?
    How much would it cost to setup a SCAR?
    I have 2 7.62 SCARs, neither will shoot better than 1.75 MOA. It's not cheap to get a custom barrel made for a SCAR, there's other precision considerations that cost $$$ as well.
    If you're dead set on replacing the M1A, I don't think a SCAR is your best option. I'd really recommend an 7.62 AR pattern gun.

Feedback Score
    i personally love my SCAR 17 and get sub MOA at 100 yards without a problem but thats with an upgraded G trigger and hand loaded ammo for more accuracy... if you really want it I say do it, but if there are options or modifications that can be done to your current rifle to achieve the same results without spending the extra cash, I say at least to try it..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OP, I don't think you provided enough information.

What kind of accuracy are you getting?

What kind of accuracy do you want?

If accuracy is your objective, why do you want a SCAR?

Have you ruled yourself out?

What have you done to your M1 to improve accuracy? Are there other things you would be willing to do?

What kind of shooting are you doing?

More information would be helpful. If in the end, you just really want a SCAR buy one. However, as noted above, there are probably better alternatives out there if accuracy is your objective.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 10-27-13 at 08:24.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    OP, I don't think you provided enough information.

What kind of accuracy are you getting?

What kind of accuracy do you want?

If accuracy is your objective, why do you want a SCAR?

Have you ruled yourself out?

What have you done to your M1 to improve accuracy? Are there other things you would be willing to do?

What kind of shooting are you doing?

Answers to the above questions would help.

Will you be using primarily optics or iron sights on the rifle?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good questions. The short of it I will be using this rifle like a Designated Marksman, approximate range of 600-800 meters. My M1A currently shoots 3-4 MOA I am looking to get something like1-2 MOA. I will post more info on the work I've already done to the M1A when I get back from church.

Dan
    "If, however, we went but a single generation without the warriors who are willing to confront human aggression every day, then within the span of that generation we would truly be both damned and doomed."
    - Lt. Col. David Grossman, U.S. Army (retired)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    With good ammunition a tuned M1A should shoot 2 MOA or better.

Shim the gas cylinder, bed the action to the stock and you should see marked improvement. I experimented with a Schuester adjustable gas cylinder plug and it made a noticeable difference as well.

Proper lubrication also makes a difference.

If you are using optics, a cheekpiece for consistent stockweld is a must.
    Last edited by T2C; 10-27-13 at 10:10.
    Train 2 Win

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast