Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Glock finger grooves *after* stippling

Feedback Score
    28 (97%)

Removing Glock finger grooves *after* stippling

I stippled my G19 a while back… like it a lot and it settled down to a nice grippy texture that isn't too hard on the hands but definitely helped in the sweaty heat of my home state. :-P

I think I want to go ahead and take some sandpaper/dremel to the finger grooves… but I'm worried since I've already stippled the front strap. Should I be concerned about the structural stability of the grip? I didn't go very deep or aggressive at all on the initial stipple. I don't think it'll be a problem…*but I also don't like making assumptions. Has anyone tried this already?

2013-11-15 12.31.15.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've done it. There's a lot of meat on the front strap. Grab a rasp and get after it, then restipple to cover where the high spots used to be.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Shouldn't be a problem, done it on 7 of my 8 glocks. I actually use an x-acto chisel blade and then go to the dremel with a sanding head.
    "Do not mistake my silence for compliance or concession,
    I most probably have simply stopped casting pearls".
    Hayden 2002.

http://fastacademy.net/wp/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    While I agree that it is OK structurally (probably), I haven't noticed any real advantage to removing them with respect to shooting.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Agree with above:

- Remove & Stipple the area you worked on, Done.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    While I agree that it is OK structurally (probably), I haven't noticed any real advantage to removing them with respect to shooting.
    Man, I've really seen a difference. Shows on the timer. Gen 2 Glocks are too hard to find these days.

If you even think you want them removed.... then you will love having them removed. It's easy enough to do, and plenty of material there.

You can stipple over stippling. Just take off enough material to get the grooves and checkering off. If stippling remains, just redo it.

I suggest taping it off, go to town with the Dremel, tape again, stipple nice straight lines.

Took me about an hour, start to finish, if I remember correctly.

ETA: It's a good time to undercut your trigger guard. Do a little at a time. Helps a lot. I just don't like going so high that my strong hand middle finger rests on the mag catch.
    Last edited by Steve S.; 11-16-13 at 01:23.

Feedback Score
    28 (97%)
    Well... I got bored this evening and took the plunge. Used the basic dremel sandpaper drum to remove the finger humps and flatten the whole thing, reduced the trigger guard just a tad, and then used a fine/rock drum to smooth the whole thing out before a restipple. Thank you for the encouragement Steve, so far I'm really glad I did it. It feels really natural and great.

In progress:
    2013-11-16 16.51.23.jpg

Finished (until I get the urge again, I guess.)
    2013-11-16 17.19.42.jpg
    Last edited by masternave; 11-17-13 at 07:21. Reason: pictures

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    What exactly shows on a timer?

I think its a comfort thing. If you're more comfortable with the finger grooves removed, you will generally shoot better, longer.

Removing the finger grooves doesnt get your hand any higher and it sure as shit isnt going to improve your split, FAST or any other time.....lol.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    It's a personal thing. Certain hand/finger sizes when trying to force the hand high on the grip will be impeded by a groove. The top of the hand doesn't get higher but the other fingers don't have to compete with grooves for spacing. This removal can lead to a more positive purchase of all fingers, achieving a better grip, improving time and placement of multiple shot strings.
    Last edited by Smash; 11-17-13 at 21:27.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Shrug.

My recoil control comes from my left hand (im a right handed shooter).

So long as i get that knuckle under the triggerguard im good and IM one of the guys that doesnt LIKE finger grooves because of the above mentioned "issue". I can still however run either gun, a gen 3 or a gen 3 sans grooves equally well. I just think there's far too much mental masturbation going on here...
    Last edited by Magsz; 11-18-13 at 22:21.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast