Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on the S&W 686 SSR

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Well I don't need any more convincing, sounds like getting one will work fine for me. I'm not into the traditional or "old school" look and feel of the older S&W's. I like the SSR's look---different and has some modern touches to it. Now I have to save up and find one
    I am a "Glock Operator" but I do not play one on TV.

Feedback Score
    Feb 2014 8-minor becomes legal. If you're willing to shell out the cash for a 686SSR then you're willing to drop some coin. Wait. Either find an 8-shot 627 to take advantage of the new rules or a 6-shot 625 so you can at least be scored major. In either case you get moonclips which are just unquestionably more appropriate for USPSA. Speedloaders suck for games that use a timer.

686SSR was purpose-built for IDPA. And it is a good IDPA SSR gun. That said, Mr Smith has the right of it. The K-frame (I think Craig Buckland still runs a 67?) tends to be what most of the winning shooters use. That's not to say you can't win matches with a 686, but the Ks are more nimble. It was a closer call when the power floor was 125. At 105 the Ks take a notable lead.

I like 686s. I have more of them than any other single make and model of pistol. But you need to be realistic about what you want (USPSA) and what you're getting (speedloader-driven 6-shot major with long brass and a lot of metal between the chambers to slow your reloads down). Look at what people use to win matches.

Feedback Score
    Also, as to any of the 'pro' series guns being tuned...no. I've got a 627 pro that I have just a bit more than 700 rounds through (all club level matches). The 'tuning' from the factory was just installing a Wolff Type-2 spring. The rebound was untouched, as was the frame. Haven't tested the gun with anything but Federal primers, but I wouldn't expect reliability with anything else. (Could be wrong; this spring when relaxed has the Type-2 bend, but is a good bit thicker than the Wolff springs I've seen in the past.)

The PC does a better job, but they won't come close to what a real revolversmith can accomplish. Especially if you're willing to throw reliability with non-Federal primers to the wind.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Feb 2014 8-minor becomes legal. If you're willing to shell out the cash for a 686SSR then you're willing to drop some coin. Wait. Either find an 8-shot 627 to take advantage of the new rules or a 6-shot 625 so you can at least be scored major. In either case you get moonclips which are just unquestionably more appropriate for USPSA. Speedloaders suck for games that use a timer.

686SSR was purpose-built for IDPA. And it is a good IDPA SSR gun. That said, Mr Smith has the right of it. The K-frame (I think Craig Buckland still runs a 67?) tends to be what most of the winning shooters use. That's not to say you can't win matches with a 686, but the Ks are more nimble. It was a closer call when the power floor was 125. At 105 the Ks take a notable lead.

I like 686s. I have more of them than any other single make and model of pistol. But you need to be realistic about what you want (USPSA) and what you're getting (speedloader-driven 6-shot major with long brass and a lot of metal between the chambers to slow your reloads down). Look at what people use to win matches.
    Sounds like the perfect excuse to get one and start shooting IDPA matches...Thanks!!
    I am a "Glock Operator" but I do not play one on TV.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12