Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a good entry-level chronograph?

Feedback Score

What's a good entry-level chronograph?

I'm looking to buy an entry-level chronograph. I don't need the computer graphing stuff - just a readout is good enough for me.

Any recommendations?

Feedback Score
    I use the Alpha Shooting Chrony.
    It does everything I need.

Feedback Score
    I have a F-1 shooting Chrony and does everything that I want. Maybe the best$75 that I spent.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We had a high power shooter tell us that the F1 chrony was acceptable for pistol loads at best. I used one to confirm my rifle loads. The velocity spreads were pretty wide... 40-50 fps on 5 round strings.

I think it'll get you fairly close.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have a Shooting Chrony, the red one. I think it's an Alpha, but I'm can't remember.

32 shot string, provides AVG, ES, SD stats.

A bit tempermental if it's clear and sunny, you must use sky screens and even then it can miss a shot. I live in CO and shoot at around 6,000 ft elevation, so UV is a problem. maybe not a problem if you are lower, and definitely no problem if cloudy or hazy.

If you get a Shooting Chrony, get the ones that have a remoted control&display unit that you set on your bench. Much easier to read the numbers right in front of you than the ones that are 15ft away. Otherwise you'll need the remote control unit which allows you to scroll through functions and reset it from the bench (but the display is still integral w/the chrono, 15ft away).

Feedback Score
    I've got a Beta Master Chrony, and it does every bit as good a job on rifle loads as does my friend's PACT. I think demigod's high power shooting friend might not be an expert on chronographs.

The Beta Master has the remote readout/controls (wonderful to have) and will calculate mean, SD and ES for you. It has the ability to remember six ten-shot strings (I just write them down as they are shot) for later printout.

I had one of the original Shooting Chronys back in the late '80s - man, they're much easier to use now. You might consider replacing the metal rods that hold the sunshades with wooden dowels - less drama if (when!) you shoot one that way. In the arc-lamp NM sun, I often have to pay attention to how the electric eyes are getting shaded, and have jerry-rigged some supplemental shades out of paper plates for when they're needed.

Their warranty service is fast and no-hassle, too.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    I think demigod's high power shooting friend might not be an expert on chronographs.
    It's possible. But he knows a lot more than I do. I can't even speak on his level. He's a precision shooting guru, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a chronograph guru.

I should have asked him more about it, but it does make sense that the cheapest chronograph you can get wouldn't be a precision instrument.

Like I said, I used an F1 for my loads, and it worked good enough to let me know my velocities were where they should be.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    He might well be a chronograph expert, but the statement that the Chronys are good for no more than clocking handgun loads is bovine excrement. I've been handloading for over twenty years and chronographing my loads for almost as long, and the Chronys give accurate results.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The F1 specifically is what he was talking about. (the base model) Not the entire Chrony line.

Again... I'm not certain of his knowledge on Chronograph models because I didn't dig deeper into the subject, and his accuracy measurement needs are different than mine. He's measuring Camp Perry loads. Based on my spreads I'd guess that my F1 was within 40 fps of accuracy which is good enough for building bulk ammo.

Feedback Score
    You can buy a whole package of those cheap, wood skewers (to grill with) to use instead of the metal rods. They fit great. And if you break or lose them, it won't matter.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast