Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a good entry-level chronograph?

ToddG Guest
    Quartz or mechanical?

Or am I getting forums mixed up?

Feedback Score
    The Shooting Chrony models are all pretty affordable and accurate. Like jmart says, get a "Master" model with a remote display, makes things much easier.

Feedback Score
    Someone in a magazine tested the current commercially available chronographs in a magazine against an Oehler 35 (?). They all gave average velocities within a few fps and sd's within a couple fps. Of course it was a test in a controlled environment with only one of each model being tested, so your results may vary.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    The F1 specifically is what he was talking about. (the base model) Not the entire Chrony line.

Again... I'm not certain of his knowledge on Chronograph models because I didn't dig deeper into the subject, and his accuracy measurement needs are different than mine. He's measuring Camp Perry loads. Based on my spreads I'd guess that my F1 was within 40 fps of accuracy which is good enough for building bulk ammo.
    The guts (sensors and electronics) of the entire Chrony line are pretty much identical.

You can covert a F1 to Alpha (statistics... Measures High, Low and Average Velocities, Extreme Spread and Standard Deviations) by adding a remote switch or making one yourself from a set of stereo headphones by splicing the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Chrony website
    To upgrade to Alpha Chrony memory and statistics, just order the Remote Control for U.S. $ 12.95
    The Beta and Gamma models feature a PC interface and additional memory capability, but do you really need 500-shot memory or a shot-to-shot timer?

Choose the "Master" version of any model for a remote display in lieu of the onboard display. Personally I find the remote display unnecessary since the onboard LED is easy to read. If you can do irons at 100 yards, you can read the display at 10 feet. YMMV.

Start with an F-1 for around $70, and upgrade as you need. For a nominal fee, Shooting Chrony allows you to upgrade or trade in any model.

I wanted to verify the velocity of my 7.5x55mm Swiss handloads, so I ordered the F-1. Statistics can be done at home on Excel, or at the range with a pair old unwanted stereo headphones.

Feedback Score
    this is the one i use,

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...429&t=11082005

it is in my OPINION a very good "entry level" or "beginners" chrono

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonGlocker View Post
    I use the Alpha Shooting Chrony.
    It does everything I need.

+1, but I'm not sure it is entry level. It does all I need.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Want to rekindle this discussion as I may be having to return my loaner!

I'd like to maybe find something with a remote/readout that I can have at the bench with me.

Feedback Score
    My Beta Master Shooting Chrony continues to give yeoman service - and has the controls and readout right there on the bench with you.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Whatever you do, get one with separate sky screens, not the ones where the chronograph unit and sensors are all in ones (The Chrony line are mostly all-in-one). One of these days, you will thank me when you are just buying a new sensor instead of the whole new chronograph.

Ask me how I know.

It is a little more expensive ($199) but I use the CED M2
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm bumping this again, as I'm still no closer to a solution. There are an amazing number of these things available, at a pretty wide range of prices, and will all sorts of add-ons.

Just at Midway alone...

$240 PACT Professional XP Chronograph with Improved Skyscreen Mounting Bracket and Case
    $210 Shooting Chrony Gama Master Chronograph with Ballistic Chrony Printer
    $210 CED Millennium 2 Chronograph System
    $190 Shooting Chrony Gama Chronograph with Ballistic Chrony Printer
    $140 RCBS AmmoMaster Chronograph
    $135 Shooting Chrony Beta Master Chronograph
    $130 PACT Model 1 XP Chronograph with Improved Skyscreen Mounting Bracket
    $120 Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph
    $110 Shooting Chrony F1 Master Chronograph
    $105 Shooting Chrony Alpha Master Chronograph

and on, and on, and on... The CED Millennium 2 is what I've used before, but the plastic parts gave me pause. I do like that the screens are the only things downrange though in case you blast one there isn't much you can't easily and cheaply replace. Not sure I'm wanting to drop $210 on a chrony though...

It looks like Shooting Chrony has Gama Master, Gama, Beta Master, M1 Master, F1 Master, Alpha Master, Beta, Alpha, etc. Does "master" mean it comes with the remote readout or something else? In reading their site it appears that is the only change to the models, other than memory, computer interface, etc. so if I bought the cheapest one it wouldn't be any less accurate than the most expensive one.

I'm really interested in hearing from folks that have used these, in outdoor settings, etc. and what their experiences are.
    Last edited by rob_s; 02-21-11 at 10:11.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast