Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a good entry-level chronograph?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I use the Oehler 35P, and they quit making them for a few years. I believe I read somewhere they'd started offering them for sale again. Before all this newer crop of chrony hardware became available, they used to be considered one of the best. I don't know how they stack up now.

Feedback Score
    Don't get a Chrony when you can get a PACT (or better) for almost the same price. I've had a PACT for 20+ years and it's been solid and reliable. I had an early Chrony.

I replaced one skyscreen after a birdshot impact - it was still reading after the glass cover and part of the housing was shattered. Also replaced a diffuser arm after wind blew over my tri-pod.

I've checked mine against another mid priced unit (a CED, IIRC) with good results. A friends Chrony reads noticeably faster than my PACT.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    rob_s,

I have a Shooting Chrony F-1. It's the only chrono I've ever used, so my frame of reference is limited, but I like it well enough. I'd say I only have around 100 rds through it. I'm probably going to get a remote display for it, just so I don't have to write down the info after each shot like I'm doing now. For that reason I'd recommend the "master" version, which comes with the remote (I believe it's the same otherwise). It folds into a durable, compact unit that travels well and fits easily into a range bag.

I've only used it indoors, and it's been a little finicky. My range is a 2 lane with floodlights, one of which I aim down onto the unit. I use the plastic light diffusers since I can't get the light shining directly downwards over the sensors. I'd say 1 shot in 10 is not registered by either one or both sensors (the unit tells you which one didn't read). I suppose I could try a brighter bulb and see if it helps.

My impression is that while it might not be the most accurate chrono out there, it's fine for my purposes (verifying duty load velocities and recreational level reloading). For $100 I'd say its GTG.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you'd like any specific data on it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JStor View Post
    I use the Oehler 35P, and they quit making them for a few years. I believe I read somewhere they'd started offering them for sale again. Before all this newer crop of chrony hardware became available, they used to be considered one of the best. I don't know how they stack up now.
    The 35P was one of the best ones ever produced...i had heard they quit making them as well.

Rob, if you can find one of these....snag it.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I was given some data several years ago. The data came to me from someone connected to CED (as a disclaimer). However, the data was generated by some European government group independent of CED. It showed the CED was the most consistent and reliable of the consumer grade chronographs including the Oehler 35P.

I don't have the info any more at hand so this is from memory. (It was testing the previous CED Millenium chronograph, not its replacement the CED M2 chronograph).
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    The 35P was one of the best ones ever produced...i had heard they quit making them as well.

Rob, if you can find one of these....snag it.
    They made, or are making, a special run. They are $600 with shipping. Little much for me...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Chrony F1 has served me well for many years. Just be aware that not only is it not water proof it's not water resistant. The circuit board is open to the elements. I found that out a couple months ago when it started raining. There is a foam pad that cushions the circuit board. The foam soaked up the rain and shorted out the Chrony. It worked fine after I took it home and dried everything out with a blow dryer. I have since rigged up a waterproof cover I made from a cheap $3 shower curtain.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Forgive me for the slightly off topic question, but does anyone make a chronograph that doesn't have to sit 10+ feet from the muzzle? I have a free range by my house but you shoot from a bench, through a wall, and down a 15 foot steel pipe. Not sure how far those remote screens reach. Would be nice if one worked closer to 1-3 feet away.

I can shoot from my front yard, but my backdrop is kinda iffy and neighbors call in a noise complaint. Knob Creek is a bit of a drive just to test a hundred rounds.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by itsturtle View Post
    Forgive me for the slightly off topic question, but does anyone make a chronograph that doesn't have to sit 10+ feet from the muzzle? I have a free range by my house but you shoot from a bench, through a wall, and down a 15 foot steel pipe. Not sure how far those remote screens reach. Would be nice if one worked closer to 1-3 feet away.

I can shoot from my front yard, but my backdrop is kinda iffy and neighbors call in a noise complaint. Knob Creek is a bit of a drive just to test a hundred rounds.
    The reason they need to be 6+ feet away for handgun and 10+ feet away for rifle is that the blast and stuff can disrupt the readings... Burning gases, powder, etc I think plus the blast itself moving or shifting the sky screens.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Makes sense. Just sucks having no way to shoot for free and be able to use the chronograph. Mostly hoping someone made one that claimed and was reviewed accurate at closer to 5-8 foot for a rifle.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast