Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What's a good entry-level chronograph?

Feedback Score
    Could you set it at the end of the pipe (for rifle)? Ballistic software should be able to work it back to muzzle velocity.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I am the only one shooting at that time I probably could. But I would have to go back and forth into the range to make sure it was lined up and such. If it is crowded, the locals don't seem friendly. It is a very awkward set up, but it is free. If it comes down to it, I will just have to drive to Knob Creek.

Feedback Score
    I purchased a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph from Midway about two months ago and have fired hundred of rounds over it. Once you start testing your reloads, you start testing your guns and combinations and the next thing you know you are shooting lots of rounds over the chronograph and ending up with lots of data to digest.

The Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph is the only one I own so I can't compare. Hopping to find somebody at the range that has a different brand so we can compare velocities.

1. I shoot from 12 to 15 feet away, but I can easily read the big LCD screen that displays the velocities. I was shocked at that because I don't see all that well any more. This is a great feature. No wires, no mess.

2. It will store 9 strings of 99 shots each. It will store the strings even after you turn the chronograph off (as long as you don't let the battery go dead). It has a place for a spare battery, nice touch.

3. It missed two shoots the first time I took it out. Has not missed a shoot since.

4. Last time started off in the sun and noticed as I was shooting that shade had crept over the chronograph. Wondered what affect that would have....none that I was aware of.

5. Just checked and the battery is still good (I remembered to turn it off last time) and all the shots from the last trip (nine days ago) are still there. I have been writing the strings down at the range, but that is a pain, I think I will just let the chronograph store the strings and then enter the data from the chronograph into my computer when I get home (a USB interface would be nice, it does a OPTIONAL Digital Remote Control with IR Port that will allow you to download the data to a computer using some windows crap.).

6. Longer barrels shoot faster than shorter barrels and heaver loads shoot faster then lighter loads, so everything is constant with what you would expect, but so far I have no way of testing the absolute accuracy of the this chronograph.

7. It does some math, but so does my computer program and they agree! Hi, Low, Average, Number of shots, Standard Deviation and Extreme Spread.

Lennie
    Last edited by LennieT; 03-09-11 at 13:24. Reason: Left something off.

Feedback Score
    F-1 is a fine starter...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LennieT View Post
    I purchased a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph from Midway about two months ago and have fired hundred of rounds over it........

Lennie
    Was looking for an entry level chrono and ran across your post. Did some more web searching on this one and found it was had at Graf & Sons for a good price and ordered one. Thanks for the info!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by number9xd View Post
    Was looking for an entry level chrono and ran across your post. Did some more web searching on this one and found it was had at Graf & Sons for a good price and ordered one. Thanks for the info!

I just bought the same one (competiton electronics) a couple weeks ago. My first trip to the range with it went well at first but then I decided to shoot one of the rods. Went and found that down range and bent her back in to shape. It worked great for about 10 rounds out of a glock 23, but when I switched to my AR, it fell over and broke the freakin tripod I had. So, take out operator error and the chrony worked great.

Feedback Score
    thanks for posting this ive been wanting one myself

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I bought the Caldwell Pro Premium Kit. Any Tips for using the advanced features, watch outs etc. Very excited to use with my iPhone, how well does that work?

Any advice appreciated.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've had a basic crono, Magnetto Speed and nothing now. My buddy has a Labradar, it is nice but pricey. Set up is easy it seems.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I've had a basic crono, Magnetto Speed and nothing now.
    Is that to say it shit the bed on you?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast