Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outside water storage.

Feedback Score

Outside water storage.

If you are collecting/storing water in barrels or totes, what happens in the winter? Does it freeze? Here in Kansas it gets pretty cold......
    Steve.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know it'll freeze in AL if gets cold enough... If it wasn't ILLEGAL in AL to use rain barrels http://beforeitsnews.com/politics/20...s-2513766.html might even be in Kansas...
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    85 (99%)
    Buried water tanks work great, cool in the summer and with proper depth water won't freeze in winter. Hidden and out of sight is a plus just keep water in tank or they will float up or push to the surface.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hickuleas View Post
    Buried water tanks work great, cool in the summer and with proper depth water won't freeze in winter. Hidden and out of sight is a plus just keep water in tank or they will float up or push to the surface.
    Can you elaborate on this? I don't see how an underground tank is going to "float up" or push to the surface, whether it's empty or not. Unless you plan to pump it full of helium, there is not going to be any upward force on the tank, even if it is completely full of air. I would be more concerned with the earth underneath the tank being compacted to a sufficient density so the tank doesn't settle when filled with water and cause a depression in the ground above...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    It depends on where the water table is. Ships are real heavy and the float!
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yep, it's exactly like a ship. Ground water rises around an empty tank, tank displaces more weight in water than its own empty weight, buoyancy pushes it up. Even steel and concrete tanks.

Feedback Score
    http://www.aces.edu/urban/RainwaterC.../Workshops.php

Alabama is encouraging water collection.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Ships float, States regulate....

Anyone have or had issues with freezing?
    Steve.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triad Tactical View Post
    Ships float, States regulate....

Anyone have or had issues with freezing?
    I don't store water in barrels. If I did, it would freeze in my area but I wouldn't be concerned. I'd just leave enough room for expansion. I might be worried the barrel would crack anyway though (especially since the barrel tapers in at the top)... I can get barrels cheaply so I might experiment this winter.

Assuming it works, if you wanted at least one barrel left unfrozen for immediate use, then you can use a floating tank heater from any farm supply store. Beware they use a lot of electricity though. You'd have a measurable increase in your power bill.

I have a 250 gallon stock tank I keep full for the deer, elk, and moose. Last year I didn't get around to adding the heater and it appeared to freeze solid. However, the goldfish (for mosquito control) were still alive in the spring. The tank didn't break but it tapers out as it goes up.

My well feeds a cistern for my house. It remains unfrozen of course. It's a concrete tank about 4' underground, but I assume you're just wondering about above ground storage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast