Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickest way to get an AR on safe during mag change?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    situation dictates for me. usually if my rifle is down range and I can still see targets and I have other people in my team shooting/rushing I usually keep it on fire, or auto...
    when life closes doors on you, blow them off the hinges.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    This is interesting to me. I have talked to a lot of other Delta Guys and they do not teach to do this. The question I have is, the gun is EMPTY so why put the safety on?
    The two with whom I've trained (Mac and a former teammate of his) make the argument that if you're changing a mag or transitioning, you don't have a sight picture. During that time that you're swapping mags, the world downrange may have changed: your bad guy is suddenly a no-shoot, you have additional no-shoots in the line of fire, or your teammates have advanced on the target while you were working your gun, and now they're down there. In addition, if you;re bumped or have to forgo the reload and transition or move, then you;re not slinging a hot gun.

In addition, with the stress of the action, padding from clothing or armor, awkward shooting positions, etc., your ability to reliably feel the change in recoil impulse between a cycling gun and one that's gone to bolt-lock or has a malfunction may be diminished. That may or may not be the case for you.

Lastly, putting the AR on safe when changing mags or transitioning keeps the process similar when transitioning to the handgun for reasons other than a malfunction or running empty. In other words, my transition process doesn't vary if I'm switching to handgun because of a tactical preference for it, or if I have to transition because I'm out of ammo. Its also the same if I'm reloading due to running dry, or if I'm working a malfunction (assuming the hammer isn't forward).

If we take this logic to say a handgun like the 1911, you cannot put it on safe when doing a mag change.
    I don't shoot 1911s, so I can't comment much on that parallel. I agree that we'll probably see a Glock-esque FCG for the AR, though I think it'll be sooner.
    Last edited by Chameleox; 11-20-13 at 11:57. Reason: grammar
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Sure you can, when the slide is forward. The OP mentions nothing of an empty weapon.
    Right, but that isn't what we are talking about. When the bolt is locked to the rear (or the slide is locked to the rear), you are putting the safety on.

Just to be clear, THE WEAPON IS EMPTY.

C4

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I can understand both arguments. I've heard both ways as well. To me, my trigger finger has to come off the trigger to release the mag, therefore, it shouldn't be ON the trigger as the bolt comes forward onto a live round.

Since the trigger finger is the "ultimate" safety (and mechanical safeties have been known to fail), this makes sense to me.

Don't people all the time talk about loss of fine motor control when the pucker factor goes up? Seems that adding 2 add'l fine motor skills would be potential problems when under fire.

Finally, one of my courses was taught that "finger on the trigger when ready to fire (ie, sight picture); safety off and finger off trigger if preparing to fire (ie, anticipating you will need to fire; not necessarily having target acquired - so something like clearing a room)"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    Lastly, putting the AR on safe when changing mags or transitioning keeps the process similar when transitioning to the handgun for reasons other than a malfunction or running empty.
    Maybe I'm not creative enough, but why would you transition to handgun for reasons other than the fact that your rifle won't fire when you pull the trigger?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Maybe I'm not creative enough, but why would you transition to handgun for reasons other than the fact that your rifle won't fire when you pull the trigger?
    Clearing tight spaces, climbing, ship-boarding, back-clearing, etc.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The two with whom I've trained (Mac and a former teammate of his) make the argument that if you're changing a mag or transitioning, you don't have a sight picture. During that time that you're swapping mags, the world downrange may have changed: your bad guy is suddenly a no-shoot, you have additional no-shoots in the line of fire, or your teammates have advanced on the target while you were working your gun, and now they're down there. In addition, if you;re bumped or have to forgo the reload and transition or move, then you;re not slinging a hot gun.

In addition, with the stress of the action, padding from clothing or armor, awkward shooting positions, etc., your ability to reliably feel the change in recoil impulse between a cycling gun and one that's gone to bolt-lock or has a malfunction may be diminished. That may or may not be the case for you.

Lastly, putting the AR on safe when changing mags or transitioning keeps the process similar when transitioning to the handgun for reasons other than a malfunction or running empty. In other words, my transition process doesn't vary if I'm switching to handgun because of a tactical preference for it, or if I have to transition because I'm out of ammo. Its also the same if I'm reloading due to running dry, or if I'm working a malfunction (assuming the hammer isn't forward).

I don't shoot 1911s, so I can't comment much on that parallel. I agree that we'll probably see a Glock-esque FCG for the AR, though I think it'll be sooner.
    Your team mates shouldn't be moving unless your providing covering/suppressing fire anyways.
    when life closes doors on you, blow them off the hinges.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In my opinion, there is a lot of over thinking going on. On a flat range there aren't as many variable as in combat, where these guys have operated. The vast majority of true tier-1 guys I have had the fortunate luxury to train with / or be trained by all vouch for safeing your weapon anytime you are off target. Except while scanning after just engaging.

Throw in gloves, night vision, close quarters, movements, wind/dust/elements, helo's overhead, ear pro, etc. It just makes for a safe practice.

If clicking a safety off is putting a hitch in your shooting ability, maybe you should rethink your "hobby"!

In regards to fine motor skills, BS. If you train the same way all the time it will transition to a major motor skill or muscle memory.

Train the safety and it becomes a habit that will not inhibit you but could save a buddies life.
    Last edited by TactTeam; 11-20-13 at 13:15.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
    Your team mates shouldn't be moving unless your providing covering/suppressing fire anyways.
    Crap happens. Maybe you didn't communicate clearly. Maybe they didn't hear you. Maybe the situation changed, or another element came from a flank and entered your area of responsibility downrange. Maybe its not you, but a less dialed in teammate who is now behind you after dropping out of a movement. Do you want him hopping back up behind you with a weapon off safe or on?

Too many variables to say what "should or "shouldn't be happening".
    Last edited by Chameleox; 11-20-13 at 13:33.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

He nails it.
    End of thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast