Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P9 FS

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

M&P9 FS

Given a choice, with or without TS and why?

If you had your M&P massaged and finessed by a known vendor with a smooth light trigger, would your answer still be the same?
    With/Without?

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ategory%3DGSAL

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ion&key=209301 or the LEO equivalent...
    Last edited by RWH24; 11-19-13 at 23:30. Reason: My Spelling
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    I carry my M&P9 with an Apex DCAEK and RAM as a duty weapon and do not have the thumb safety. In fact, I made sure to get one without any additional safety(TS or MS). I've only ever had weapons without a traditional safety and am comfortable handling weapons without them. In a life and death scenario, I'd much rather have that one less motion to make. The Apex kit isn't so light that the weapon will fire with a slight brush of the trigger. It still takes a concerted effort to pull the trigger.

Feedback Score
    I have the thumb safety but only because it is a convenient place to put my right thumb. Without it I tend to ride the slide release. I would be comfortable without it even with a light trigger as far as safety goes. It is an additional comfort when re-holstering but again I would be fine without it.

You can always get the thumb safety model and remove it if you don't like it.
    Die living

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
    You can always get the thumb safety model and remove it if you don't like it.
    I prefer no TS but it's easy to swap it out and put in some plugs.
    Last edited by RB-S13; 11-20-13 at 06:54. Reason: Grammar

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I am not a fan of them because the orientation of my thumb is different from how a 1911 feels to me. This will largely depend on hand size though.

I have witnessed a lot of people shooting M&P's with TS's (square range and shoot houses). Many (if not all) will pull the gun out and forget to turn the safety off at some point.

You can always add a TS to the newer M&P's (FYI).

C4

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I am not a fan of them because the orientation of my thumb is different from how a 1911 feels to me. This will largely depend on hand size though.

I have witnessed a lot of people shooting M&P's with TS's (square range and shoot houses). Many (if not all) will pull the gun out and forget to turn the safety off at some point.

C4
    This post should be stickied

I will add to it my opinion.

A long time ago, before we heard of a guy name Gaston Glock, we all wanted some kind of manual safety on a semi auto pistol. Then this Glock guy introduced his "Austrian Perfection" known as the Glock model 17 in the mid 80s. It has no external manual safety lever. At first everyone thought that users would be shooting themselves and others accidentally with this safety-less gun. Almost 30 years later, modern pistols without a manual safety lever is common, no one would think twice about carrying one. Outside of a few careless users, the safety-less semi auto is perfectly safe and for most, desireable.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    I've seen some Glocks tricked out for competition and no one seemed to think a manual safety was necessary. The primary cause of most intended discharges of a firearm are caused by careless placement of the trigger finger in violation of Rule 3. To a lesser extent careless carriage comes into play, but I would bet there's a trigger finger at issue in some of those too.
    Last edited by walkin' trails; 11-20-13 at 19:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

C4
    My dad's a 65 year old Army vet who hadn't touched a handgun for 40 years and wanted a 45 for home defense. He liked my M&P45 (non safety) and insisted on a model with a safety. So he got one. With no actual skills I tried to impress upon him the need to build the muscle memory to activate the safety but he blew it off, as most fathers would coming from their sons. He insisted his time with the 1911 40 years earlier was all he needed.

Fast forward to a range trip. I told him we'd some some semi stressful shoots (mostly time and movement to raise the heart rate). Well guess who forgot to swipe the safety about 50% of the time.

I'm not saying this to besmirch my father, rather as a lesson that hopefully others can take and learn from. Nothing wrong with external safeties but they must become muscle memory. If not, under stress, they may well fail.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Kinda like after 12 years with a Sig DA/SA, changed to a Sig DAK. I kept trying to de-cock the SOB!

Grant, The actual reason I asked the question was because of the pistols you have listed in stock. Since the one with the TS also had NS already installed, I knew the TS could be removed. Planning an end around run so to speak.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score

C4
    When did this change? I thought you needed parts that smith wouldn't sell?

Sent from my clutch hand while riding a wheelie....
    Die living

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast