Thread: Same load for multiple firearms

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Same load for multiple firearms

So I know how to develop a load for a single gun but I'm about to embark on load develpment for a load that will be consumed by all my ARs and a good possibility in my buddys guns as well. Ive got everything from a 10.5 to 20" barrel in the stable. Most will be fired out of my 14.5 or my 20". Im not looking for a max effort load just one that runs well in all of them. I will be using 55gr fmjs and 55gr vmax. Im guessing I should do the load workup on the 20" so I dont get too hot of a load for it but I'm wondering how itll shoot in the shorter barrels. I dont expect sub moa groupd but definitely within 2 moa I woukd think would be reasonable.
    Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

Feedback Score
    Just make sure you are resizing your brass to where it will chamber in all of your rifles. As far as chamber pressure goes, it doesn't matter what the barrel length is. If you want to do load work up in your 20" go for it but having a longer barrel has zero effect on chamber pressure. If I were in your shoes I would work up the load in the rifle that needs the most gas to cycle reliably. Or if you have a rifle with a 223 chamber instead of a 5.56 one, do the work up in that one.

Will it be 2 moa in all your guns? No one will know until you give it a try.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For extruded, I'd run Benchmark. Loads near max have been decent for me with the 55s.

For ball, I like W748. Low flash for that 10.5. I'd load that a little under max because it's not the most temp stable powder. H335 will be a flame thrower out of that 10.5 of yours... so avoid that if you don't like flash.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Ramshot Exterminator is also a great powder. 25 grains under a 55 grain bullet seemed to be as accurate in every AR I've ever tried it in with a 1in9 twist or slower. 55 grain bullets tend to over stabilize in 1 in 8 or faster barrels and that doesnt lend itself to great accuracy.