Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: is the military using .300 blackout?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I guess that question has been answered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Stick to the rescue
    Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    I'm getting more and more interested in this round by the day.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    If one considers for a moment that there are certain weapons in inventories (let's use an MPSD3 as an example) and one wanted to replace that weapon with something that shares the same parts commonality, magazines, manual of arms, etc... then the .300 BLK makes perfect sense. It doesn't mean that it has to be general issue. Also, as I recall late in 2012, early 2013 someone with the DOD purchase several hundred thousands of rounds of .300 BLK ammo. I doubt it was done for shooting competition.
    A couple hundred K would pretty much fit into competition team levels of ammo consumption when you take into account the billions of rounds used by DoD as a whole

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0N View Post
    A couple hundred K would pretty much fit into competition team levels of ammo consumption when you take into account the billions of rounds used by DoD as a whole
    Possibly, but RSilvers developed the round, so I would pay attention to his posts. If I recall, 300blk was originally developed at the request of certain military end users. It didn't just pop up commercially because people liked the 300 whisper and wanted to shoot it out of their AR.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    Possibly, but RSilvers developed the round, so I would pay attention to his posts. If I recall, 300blk was originally developed at the request of certain military end users. It didn't just pop up commercially because people liked the 300 whisper and wanted to shoot it out of their AR.
    I believe the AMU competition load was a 175gr bullet out of a 24" or longer barrel, not any commercial load or practical for much else. It was chosen specifically to make "major", and I'm guessing it was all either loaded by the AMU or loaded to AMU specs on a small contract with a small ammo maker.

What I'm hearing is that small amounts of 300BLK are in use by some military units... and anything more than that is in the realm of secret squirrel stuff. Someone here may know - in fact I'll bet several do - but are not in a position to share. Nor does it really matter for deciding if 300BLK suits some other use like hunting or 3-gun or LE patrol rifles.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    I'd anticipate that the people who are using 300BLK are the same ones who used the 300 Whisper.

The military has had access to them since the early 90s.

I just don't anticipate that you'll see it picked up by white side SOF, because they get free ammo from their parent services if they use what's issued instead of something specialized.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I believe the AMU competition load was a 175gr bullet out of a 24" or longer barrel, not any commercial load or practical for much else. It was chosen specifically to make "major", and I'm guessing it was all either loaded by the AMU or loaded to AMU specs on a small contract with a small ammo maker.

What I'm hearing is that small amounts of 300BLK are in use by some military units... and anything more than that is in the realm of secret squirrel stuff. Someone here may know - in fact I'll bet several do - but are not in a position to share. Nor does it really matter for deciding if 300BLK suits some other use like hunting or 3-gun or LE patrol rifles.
    I gave the AMU a recipe of 175 grain Sierra with 1680 powder to make major at 55,000 psi. It was the lightest bullet that can make major in a 16 inch barrel at SAAMI pressure. In the end, Daniel Horner used his own load with a lighter bullet and at higher pressure to win the 3-gun Nationals. They either loaded it themselves, or had Atlanta Arms do it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Piston guns do not suppress well, at least from a sound perspective.
    What is the reason for this?

I guess I'm not seeing how having a piston will affect sound suppression...
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast