Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General all purpose rifle

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

General all purpose rifle

Deciding what to do with my ARs now with the SAFE ACT in place. Ill either ship both off or sell. I will not register. Anyway, I'm looking to buy a rifle to buy that is compliant and a good all around gun.
    Ruger GSR with 5&10rd AI mags and sling and use irons for now plus add a light sometime in the future.
    Other option is the Savage Hog Hunter with Leupold VX-R Hog, Badger rings and sling and eventually a light.
    The Savage has a $535 msrp which is about half of the Rugers. Weight is 7.25lbs. Bbl 20". Capacity is 4rds of 308.
    Ruger is 7lbs. 16.5" bbl. $1000 msrp. Big plus: takes mags for quick reloading.

I'd add an optic down the road.

Thoughts?
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Ruger GSR for .308, Mossberg MVP Patrol for 5.56 (10 rnd PMAGS be legal for a bolt gun?), Ruger American Rimfire in .22LR as an understudy for both.
    Could set all 3 up with similar sights and/or optics. Would be easy enough to scout scope & peep sight the American & MVP.

For a lower priced & lighter weight option in .308, consider the Ruger American Compact! Street priced around $325, 6 lbs. Spend the savings on sights or optics of your choice.
    Last edited by jandbj; 11-23-13 at 13:11.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Sounds awesome. I can only afford 1 set up for now unless I sold the ARs
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    http://gunupthemagazine.com/2013/10/...ifle-part-one/

Good article on one guys take on making the American a general purpose rifle. I'd add peep sights & an H1. Still be cheaper than a GSR!

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    If you take a look at Davidsons they had Ruger GSRs on sale. I just picked up a left handed on for $749 from them, with shipping and tax it was just under $800. My FFL has a Davidson's store on their website so all fees were taken care of up front and he had it for pickup in 3 days. Ordered it Saturday and picked it up Tuesday. I was thinking of toying with an American, but they don't make them in a left hand version yet.
    Last edited by Don Robison; 11-23-13 at 13:49.

Feedback Score
    I am going to chime in as another supporter of the GSR.

I own quite a few guns. ARs, Bolt Guns, Shotguns, etc. But I can say, without a doubt, that the GSR is the most fun rifle I have ever shot. I have shot many bolt guns in the civilian and Military world, and there is something intangibly fun about the Gunsite scout. It is incredibly handy (it feels lighter than it is, too). It is accurate as well; mine is probably .75 MOA out of the box, which is great. I have a 2.5x Leupold scout scope, and have no doubt that I can take out a man sized target at 300-600M (We take out silhouettes with irons are 300 in the Army).

The gun is fun, and it is hard to quantify why. When I take my DD AR-15 out, it is a pain. I gotta plan my load out, do my PCCs/PCIs, grab my leatherman MUT (Even though I have never had a failure), I have to bring a case for it, grab some CLP; it just turns into a shooting trip. But with the GSR it can just be a random trip with some incidental shooting.

With my scout, I just grab a box of ammo, sling it over my shoulder (I keep an extra mag in the stick pouch) and leave. It is the gun I will grab If I want zero stress shooting, and I will shoot anything from 10-500M. It is the ideal rifle.
    Last edited by jcshelto; 11-23-13 at 14:22.
    U.S. Army (RET)
    NRA, GOA, SAF, IDPA, USPSA member

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I think you might have me sold then. Ill rock it with irons for the moment until next year. What sling are you using? Mags? Aics?

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I don't do the Ching Sling, because I didn't want to drill my stock, nor do I completely see the merits of it. I am running a basic, but nice leather two point sling. I find myself, very often, throwing the rifle over my shoulder and "chow slinging" it. Very few rifles lend themselves to the constant carrying in the low ready or some modified form thereof.

I like the irons a lot. I zeroed them for 25 and the Leupold for 100. You would be very surprised at the speed of the 2.5x Leupold; I am pretty much just as fast as I am with my 1x aimpoint. I did put a Bipod on it, but I am not sure that was the best idea; it adds a lot of weight, and I am not sure there is any added benefit, but at least it looks cool.

I do use AICS mags, but I also use the Ruger polymer mags, though the springs don't feel like the strongest things on earth.

Let me put it this way. I have 1000+ rounds of 5.56 and 1000+ of 7.62 at the house. I have started selling off the 5.56, but I won't touch the 7.62. I just hope God puts me in some more open land where I can shoot more.
    U.S. Army (RET)

Feedback Score
    Just to add -- I think the MVP feels insanely cheap and shoddily assembled. If they up their build quality, I'll buy one in a second.
    U.S. Army (RET)

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    instead of buying another gun, sell everything that you can except the AR and move to the Great State of Pennsylvania.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast