Thread: "inherited" Remington 700...

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

"inherited" Remington 700...

Yesterday I "inherited" a Remington 700, 20" barrel, has "tactical" printed on side, Timney trigger, Leupold VX-R 4-12x40 scope, all wrapped in a HS Precision stock. I don't know what model Remington (700 LTR maybe?). A few questions: 1) what is this rifle capable of vis-a-vis distance/yardage? 2) How do I know what twist is on the barrel? 3) should I sell or trade the scope for one with mil dots if I want to get into 500+ yards precision shooting?

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Yup, dump the scope and get one with higher power and better reticle. I'd recommend you go to Sniper's Hide for a TON of great info.

The best thing about your rifle is that it is FREE. Sounds like you have the makings already for a great PR.

A good quality .308 shooting 175 grain Sierra will do well out to and even beyond 800 yards, depending, of course, on the 1,000 different variables involved in precision rifle shooting, from the shooter's ability, to the various variables in weather, etc. etc.

WARNING: If you are getting into precision rifle shooting it is HIGHLY addictive, but great fun. Nothing like sending a round downrange over a quarter of mile and getting a satisfying "PING" back from the steel.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Yesterday I "inherited" a Remington 700, 20" barrel, has "tactical" printed on side, Timney trigger, Leupold VX-R 4-12x40 scope, all wrapped in a HS Precision stock. I don't know what model Remington (700 LTR maybe?). A few questions: 1) what is this rifle capable of vis-a-vis distance/yardage? 2) How do I know what twist is on the barrel? 3) should I sell or trade the scope for one with mil dots if I want to get into 500+ yards precision shooting?
    Remington can tell you exactly what it is: http://remington.custhelp.com/app/an...ZXVFdTRhR2w%3D

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Called Remington today, I have a 700 SPS. Thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    I had a 700 LTR 20in barrel and it shot well, sometimes Remington factory barrels end up being duds. The biggest limitation will probably be the optics, and depending on your body type the ergonomics of the stock but if you have good glass and can get the gun to fit you well you could definitely shoot to beyond 1000 yards with confidence.

The twist rate for factory Remington like that are usually 1:12.

For optic options I'd look closely at Viper PST 4-16x with MRAD reticle.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Called Remington today, I have a 700 SPS. Thanks for the help.
    Is it .223 or .308? If it is .308, is it the AAC-SD with the threaded barrel? If so, it is 1:10. But on a regular .308 SPS Tactical it is 1:12.

Feedback Score
    Was at the range today with my 700 ADL Varmint in 308. Only change I made was having the barrel cut to 20". The rifle still sports the factory injection molded stock. Best group I had was .307" center to center. Wish I could have kept it up, but it was only 10* and my hands were hurting like hell.