Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Shotguns not for COMBAT use

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Would OOO down a 600# Black Bear safely/reliably/comfortably for you? (reason I ask is my friends live where Black Bear also live)
    I really don't trust buck shot on bears.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I had to kill 2 black bear last summer in the line of duty. The first one I had to kill charged me. 2 slugs put it down but it tried to get back up. I shot it 2 more times on the ground, reloaded then shot it twice in the head. Yes they are tough. The second bear I had to shoot had broken into a woman's apartment. When I arrived on scene it was in the laundry room. I waited for it to exit and I waited until I had a safe back stop. It rose up on its hind legs. from about 7 yards away. I shot it in the chest once and then twice more in the back as it turned to run. that slowed it down but it was still moving away. I reloaded and got closer to it. It spun around and started biting at its own mid section. I shot it 3 more times as it spun. This dropped it. I then put two in its head. I used Breneke slugs. Yes bears are tough to kill.
    You must have some mutant black bears up there! Black bear in the eastern states are routinely taken with .41 and .44 Magnum handguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWK View Post
    You must have some mutant black bears up there! Black bear in the eastern states are routinely taken with .41 and .44 Magnum handguns.
    Taking an animal when it does not know you are there (hunting situations) vs one that is amped up and charging are two very different things. And yes everything in Alaska is bigger and tougher.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Taking an animal when it does not know you are there (hunting situations) vs one that is amped up and charging are two very different things. And yes everything in Alaska is bigger and tougher.
    Pat
    I can attest to this. Watch any fights you can. Not TV, real fights. The guy that gets PISSED usually gets the living hell knocked out of him before he goes down (or wins). Doesn't even show it. It was the same for me when I fought full contact. After that split second after the first punch (especially when face is involved), you don't feel it anymore until after the fight. Then again, you walk into a door frame or bump into something ogling some chic at the supermarket and it almost takes you out. Good point on mindset.

The thing I love about animals is that they decide to do something, they DO IT. They don't say "OMGZ! I been shotz 10101!!! I need to fallz!!!" like so many people do. They keep trucking with whatever thought is in their head until they physically cannot continue. I respect that a lot.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I can attest to this. Watch any fights you can. Not TV, real fights. The guy that gets PISSED usually gets the living hell knocked out of him before he goes down (or wins). Doesn't even show it. It was the same for me when I fought full contact. After that split second after the first punch (especially when face is involved), you don't feel it anymore until after the fight. Then again, you walk into a door frame or bump into something ogling some chic at the supermarket and it almost takes you out. Good point on mindset.

The thing I love about animals is that they decide to do something, they DO IT. They don't say "OMGZ! I been shotz 10101!!! I need to fallz!!!" like so many people do. They keep trucking with whatever thought is in their head until they physically cannot continue. I respect that a lot.
    A friend of mine calles that goal driven individuals. If a person is goal driven only a hit to the CNS will stop them immediately and same goes with animals.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    I really don't trust buck shot on bears.
    Pat
    Which is why they don't call it "Bear Shot"
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    Which is why they don't call it "Bear Shot"
    The buckshot I have is recommended for Black Bear according to the box. 0-000 size. However, I trust this man over a box. Just saying...

Feedback Score
    xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-07-09 at 22:00.
    Qui Me Tangit Paenitebit (he who touches me will repent)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910