Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are low - mid range uppers so expensive?

Feedback Score

Why are low - mid range uppers so expensive?

Over the past few days I have been looking across various websites in the hopes of finding a good quality complete upper for a good price.

I have pretty much settled on a palmetto state armory 16 inch carbine. When they have their sales a stripped (no charging handle or bolt carrier) have been as low as $299. With bolt carrier and charging handle they can go on sale for like $399.

With those prices in mind, why are dpms, cmmg, del-ton,,,, selling for more than a psa?

At midway usa a del-ton upper is selling for $419.99, dpms upper on sale for $412.28 and that is with $51 off the regular price.

On armslist S&W M&P 15 uppers are in the $575 range.

cheapthandirt has a bushmaster upper is $731.85.

bcm upper without bolt carrier group or charging handle or forearm grip is $489.00, $708.00 with charging handle and bolt carrier group.

If psa can offer good quality parts at a reasonable price, what is the deal with those other companies? bcm cost more because of the quality, so yea, I can see it costing more. But what about companies like del-ton and dpms.

What justification can a company have for selling a bushmaster upper for more than a bcm upper?

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Because most people don't do any research or anything before purchasing items. Del-ton, DPMS, and bushmaster cater to these people and it doesn't matter what they charge as most are told "it is just as good as".

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_B View Post
    Because most people don't do any research or anything before purchasing items. Del-ton, DPMS, and bushmaster cater to these people and it doesn't matter what they charge as most are told "it is just as good as".
    And we can now close the thread.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Ranier has a BCM barreled upper on sale for $395. I doubt you will ever find a better deal than that.

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sh...roduct_id=3405
    Last edited by uffdaphil; 11-25-13 at 08:05. Reason: Speeling
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    This made me laugh, Thx for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    And we can now close the thread.

Feedback Score
    Some companies have a reputation of price gouging.

Take cheaperthandirt for example. After sandyhook ctd took all of their guns off the website, and posted pages sying ctd does not sale firearms over the internet. Here we are a year later and ctd is selling bushmaster uppers for the same price (or more) than a bcm upper.

I wonder how many of those high prices are related to the panic buying during the first part of 2013?

Are upper prices artificially high due to the excessive demand from a year ago?

BCM, DD and PSA prices are all coming down. It seems that everything is coming down in price, except for the low quality uppers.
    Last edited by ~kev~; 11-25-13 at 08:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Kev;
    I don't know if you've bought your upper yet, but check out one of the site sponsor's G&R Tactical... Grant has a Colt 6920 Socom upper, complete with BCG, Charging handle, Rail, Sights for $699, All you'd need to do is pop it on your lower...
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Kev;
    I don't know if you've bought your upper yet, but check out one of the site sponsor's G&R Tactical... Grant has a Colt 6920 Socom upper, complete with BCG, Charging handle, Rail, Sights for $699, All you'd need to do is pop it on your lower...
    Thank you, and that is a great price.

But with christmas coming up I can not spend that amount of money.

After christmas it is going to be a different story. My birthday is in janaury and I am hoping to build / buy myself a new rifle.

The psa upper I want to buy is going to place a very old bushmaster upper that was made during the assault weapon ban. It has a carry handle, 1:9 twist, heavy barrel, no flashhider,,. I want to replace that old upper with a modern one and bring that rifle to current trends.

Then in January look at either buying a complete new rifle, or building myself one.
    Last edited by ~kev~; 11-25-13 at 08:38.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    I avoid CTD like the plague and they will never see a dime of my money.

When it comes to the lower quality companies, most of them are about pure profit and probably don't see a need to adjust prices because the uninformed continue to make purchases. As long as people buy product there is no reason to change.

The higher end companies are more respectable and care about their product/customer basis(By all means profit plays a part). As things calm down and manufacturing can get back to a normal pace, better processes are thought of, and a list of other things. So they will lower their prices accordingly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
    Thank you, and that is a great price.

But with christmas coming up I can not spend that amount of money.

After christmas it is going to be a different story. My birthday is in janaury and I am hoping to build / buy myself a new rifle.

The psa upper I want to buy is going to place a very old bushmaster upper that was made during the assault weapon ban. It has a carry handle, 1:9 twist, heavy barrel, no flashhider,,. I want to replace that old upper with a modern one and bring that rifle to current trends.

Then in January look at either buying a complete new rifle, or building myself one.
    I understand.. I was just thinking that there was only about $200 difference between the two uppers,(PSA & Colt) and the Colt was offering a lot more for the money, I just thought I'd run it by you..
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast