Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video cameras in class

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Most instructors I train with do NOT allow video or audio. Why? For many different reasons. First is none PC discussions. Talking about sensitive topics is not something that needs to be seen by the general public. Second is that it is easy for viewers to think something isn't safe because of the angle. Third is because they didn't pay for the training. You paid your hard earned money so why give it away to someone that paid nothing??

If the student wants to "capture" what was said or done so they can improve, there is this new invention called pen and paper! Take notes!

C4

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Very few people have the ability to fully understand what they might look like to the point they could "pencil and paper" it. But I agree, it seems like running video or even audio could lead to some undesired issues. It would seem to me that no matter who was teaching that at least some segment of the training could be arranged such that video/audio could be captured for/by the student. I know that me personally I can practice something, go over it in my head, write it down, whatever... but when I video myself, it's a whole different picture and I usually "see and know" that I did it really wrong or pretty much right. There's a reason they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Remember you are only as good as your eye witness account and I believe most here have said most people make really bad eye witnesses. Pen and paper simply doesn't compare to video. It's an ok remedy if nothing else is available. Ideally it would be a video of the instructor followed by video of student for comparison.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is definite value in video, and I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. It's the manner and purpose many are taken with, and the secondary issues that can arise that complicates the matter.

I record some individual practice sessions, enabling me to diagnose a problem I don't understand at the time, or don't even realize is occurring. I occasionally videotape match stages to see what I'm doing in stress performance. I've attended FLETC and Strategos classes that recorded students in structured, formal exercises for later review and progress assessment. In those, the video was taken by instructors, is owned and retained by the program, and is not distributed. I like that structure very much.

The POV recording with body cams often seen on the net isn't providing a lot of diagnostic opportunity. It's mostly entertainment.

On note taking... I keep a spiral notebook in my pocket during classes and write like a mad man at each opportunity. I manage to capture both major and minor instructional points of interest, as well as other observations of the course. After class, I type those notes and scan any drawings and file them away. They are a tremendous resource.

With currently available technology, instructors should anticipate being recorded openly or surreptitiously, and adjust accordingly. If an off-comment isn't captured on video, it's a sound bite on a smart phone, or in an AAR published to the net. It's sad that our modern social and legal environment doesn't allow the candor it used to, but it is what it is.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Yep... agree 100%. That's exactly how I see it. Especially the part about the instructors needed to not only retain rights on the videos but actually move towards integrating them such that the student not even need to be concerned with that aspect. Agree, I'm not a big POV person. I generally don't like to even watch those videos and I can't for the life of me imagine what 99% of people would gain from them instructionally.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post

On note taking... I keep a spiral notebook in my pocket during classes and write like a mad man at each opportunity. I manage to capture both major and minor instructional points of interest, as well as other observations of the course. After class, I type those notes and scan any drawings and file them away. They are a tremendous resource.

This. Lowe's sells these little green notebooks, that have the same write in the rain paper as others.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_150384-37672...r|1&facetInfo=

But these have a narrower page, fit perfectly in the hand, and have a stiff cover and back. They also have a ruler on the back, makes it easy to snap a quick cell phone pic of a grouping. I carry one of those notebooks with me per class, to write up a personal AAR. That gets edited heavily if it gets posted on the web.

Feedback Score
    I agree that there is a legitimate training purpose, but it's a bit limited by the environment. If you're in a class, on the line, and the instructor is bellowing at everyone from 25 yards, you're not picking up his audio. The majority of the videos I see are focused on the shooter because they're body or gun-mounted cameras.

Also, I have seen people remove their mags during reload drills and SET them on the ground so they don't damage them. Are they going to dive to a prone position with a GoPro mounted on their chest? Nope.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is a place for cameras such as go pros in a class if used for the right purpose. One should first receive permission from the instructor and then students. If not it's a no go from there period. I recently attended a cqb course with co workers and a buddy ran one on his helmet. Reviewing the runs was just as beneficial as actually doing them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12