Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rem 700 SPS AAC 16.5"

Feedback Score

Rem 700 SPS AAC 16.5"

Are these 1 in 10 twist barrels both hammer forged and melonited or nitrided by the factory? Or what exactly are they finished with?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not sure about the HF, but Remington's web site says the SPS is: "Durable satin black oxide metal finish"

Feedback Score
    Thanks, barrel feels slick as two custom Rock Creek barrels I have had melonited and the same brown stain on patches.

I'm 99% sure all Remington barrels on production rifles are hammer forged.

Feedback Score
    18 (95%)
    This is gonna be one of my early 2014 purchases.

Feedback Score

Changed the stock to a Rem - HS Precision and changed out the trigger to the older 700 style. Adjusted to about 2 pounds. Fired 5 rounds without the AAC Cyclone and then after playing sight in shot rounds 16 thru 20 shown here: Group was fired with a FGMM clone, IMR 4064 and 168 Sierra MK's in Federal brass and primers.

One point of interest to me was how little droop or suppressor zero shift this particular rifle showed.

Last edited by 308sako; 12-03-13 at 19:56. Reason: droop comment added

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    And that's all I needed to see for my 20 vs 16.5 debate that was happening in my head.

Feedback Score
    I guess I could add that these loads were chronographed through my Oehler 35P and the average of 20 rounds was 2480 ft/secs with SMK 168's...

Here in the desert a friends OBR 16" has gone to 1,100 yards at 4200 ASL, so I'm very happy with this setup, especially when the can is on it. Has some blast without!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What model came with the tan HS precision stock? My 5Rs came with the normal green and black webbing but I like that tan. Im planning to do basically the same thing youve done.
    Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako
    Has some blast without!
    Definitely a 'lil bark, that's for sure...

Very neat, handy little rifle with a bolt that was smoother and ejected WAY better than my Savages...but severely handicapped by being 308 If Big Green made that rifle in 260 Remington, I wouldn't be able to throw my money at them fast enough.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71 View Post
    What model came with the tan HS precision stock? My 5Rs came with the normal green and black webbing but I like that tan. Im planning to do basically the same thing youve done.

Not this one, which one I don't really know.

I got the Tan HS stock in trade for the black one I had from a previous VSSF that went into a chassis.
    The 16.5 AAC tactical was put into that Tan HS and the trigger changed out to the old style 700 trigger before this rifle was fired.
    Load development hopefully begins tomorrow, pics will follow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast