Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Is FN preparing to release their own AR?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Why not? They have the TDP.
    This is the problem. Where did FN get the TDP from??? That's right, Colt. It is also my understanding that when you get the TDP from Colt, you are FORBIDDEN from making a commercially available AR15. This is why so many companies backed out of the last competition (as they didn't want to give up commercial sales).

So the $10,000 dollar question is how? How are they getting around this. Kind of concerns me as they MAY be farming this out to another company and then just licensing their name. That would NOT make this an FN built product.

C4

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I thought that was the case with the TDP, but wasn't positive.

The other $10,000 question would be how was Remington going to produce government M4s and still have the Bushmaster and DPMS line available since it falls under the same company? Or is that a semantics in the name on the receiver game?
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpekz View Post
    Like Jason said, I don't believe FN ever made M4's. I've never seen an M4/M4A1 that wasn't a Colt.
    Well, if you count this

Other than nostalgic value, would an M16A4 clone actually be a commercial success? Even with the A5 system?

I just don't see a lot of people picking one up as a dedicated weapon myself.
    Me either. M4C needs to remember we are the minority. An FN M16A4 will sell to those who have AR15 collections, those who carried one in the Corps, and those who think it looks neat. It will not be a big seller. I had a full M16A4 clone. BCM 20" with KAC M5, TA31 ACOG, and I sold it. It was nice to play with, but I just never shot it. And I had an intense nostalgia factor...

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    This is the problem. Where did FN get the TDP from??? That's right, Colt. It is also my understanding that when you get the TDP from Colt, you are FORBIDDEN from making a commercially available AR15. This is why so many companies backed out of the last competition (as they didn't want to give up commercial sales).

So the $10,000 dollar question is how? How are they getting around this. Kind of concerns me as they MAY be farming this out to another company and then just licensing their name. That would NOT make this an FN built product.

C4
    Grant,

How does Colt sell commercial AR15s if it has the TDP? Is this strictly a Colt "We don't want any competition" ploy? Why would anyone even want the TDP from Colt if they weren't going to sell commercially? This isn't a trick question - I really don't know.

P.S. Sorry for bugging you and Roxanne so much last week
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I thought that was the case with the TDP, but wasn't positive.

The other $10,000 question would be how was Remington going to produce government M4s and still have the Bushmaster and DPMS line available since it falls under the same company? Or is that a semantics in the name on the receiver game?
    I think those companies are separate (own entities). Remington cannot produce an M4 for the commercial market.

C4

Feedback Score
    I hope FN does release their own rifles, both m4 and something in a rifle length.

This would put even more pressure on colt to just go belly up and die.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Grant,

How does Colt sell commercial AR15s if it has the TDP? Is this strictly a Colt "We don't want any competition" ploy? Why would anyone even want the TDP from Colt if they weren't going to sell commercially? This isn't a trick question - I really don't know.

P.S. Sorry for bugging you and Roxanne so much last week
    Colt OWNS the TDP so they can do it. Any company that is given the OFFICIAL TDP (by the US GOVT) to build M16's or M4's for the US Govt is NOT allowed to use this document to produce commercial versions of said guns.

C4

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Colt OWNS the TDP so they can do it. C4
    You literally just made several year's worth of confusion go away in one sentence! I never thought of it as Colt owning the TDP. This makes it even more confusing how FN would sell commercial AR15s.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

C4
    How did BCM get a copy of the TDP?
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    Colt OWNS the TDP so they can do it. Any company that is given the OFFICIAL TDP (by the US GOVT) to build M16's or M4's for the US Govt is NOT allowed to use this document to produce commercial versions of said guns.

C4
    What is stopping FN from changing something on the military rifles and offering a civilian version?

And what "exactly" does the tdp cover?

I would love to see FN get into the cilvian market. And I would love to see colt dead on the side of the road with all 4 legs up in the air.

Someone needs to step up and offer what consumers want. Besides rifles like the 6920 and 6970, colt is not getting the job done.

There are massive markets out there just waiting for someone like FN to fill.
    Last edited by ~kev~; 12-02-13 at 08:37.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    How did BCM get a copy of the TDP?
    As far as I know, they didn't.

I think they just hold themselves to a very high standard of quality, using materials, techniques, and production methods that are "public knowledge", for lack of a better phrase.

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast