Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Switching To M&P's. Now Which Model?

Feedback Score

Switching To M&P's. Now Which Model?

After much debate and several sessions of outshooting my G19 Gen4 with M&P's, I have decided to make the switch. I have tired and tried to like the highly recommended midsize Glock models (mainly the 19 and 23) but could never seem to shoot them as well with them as the full size or even the subcompacts for that matter. I will be keeping my G17 but the 19 will be finding a new home.

The fact is I shoot the M&P's better with quicker follow up shots and have better overall shot placement. I have shot stock M&P's with the factory trigger and the lack of audible/tangible reset does not bother me and goes unnoticed in rapid fire drills. The APEX kits make them that much more exciting.

My decision on M&P's is set. However the model I will be replacing my G19 with is still undecided. The FS model is the same size as my G17. The compact is marginally bigger than the baby Glock and with the provided pinky extension roughly the same size as a midsize. Man wouldn't life be great if S&W made a G19 sized M&P!

For you guys that carry M&P on a daily basis CCW, which model do you carry, the FS or the compact?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My 9c is in my carry rotation.

It is a very nice little pistol and have zero complaints. I have no issues with the size of the grip, in fact it makes it easier to conceal. I've been carrying my HK P2KSK recently so I have no recent observations.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I EDC a Shield, which is probably of no help to you. If you really want to jump the shark, you can get the full size, a compact, and a shield, but if the compact works for you, then that might be the logical replacement.
    I run the shield EDC just because the grip area is narrower, the length of the 4.25"wasn't an issue for me, but I the compact wasn't much smaller where I cared, and I shoot the FS so much better.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have two FS M&Ps and they both carry about the same as my G19. I would probably go with the FS. The ergos are perfect, and 17 rounds is extremely nice to have on hand.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    full size 9mm. interesting enough, its about the size of a G19 just with a slightly longer grip.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I usually carry a 9 compact, I do not feel as comfortable, especially in the summer, with dressing around a full size pistol.

The 45 compact is closer to the size of a G19, and to me, conceals just a bit easier than the Glock. If I feel a need to carry a .45 it is my first choice.

For both, I split my carry time between a Raven OWB or a VM2 IWB, depending on what I am doing and how I need to dress.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a CORE as my EDC, I also have Ga 9C (which sits unused) and a Shield as a BUG
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    This is the precise reason why I haven't tried the M&P family in any serious way. Simply put, the FS M&P is just "too big" enough that I won't carry it concealed on a regular basis in warm weather, specifically due to the length of the grip. The Compact, on the other hand, is just "too small" enough for me to have a hard time with weapons manipulation, especially reloads, at speed.

As many, many, many others have noted, the M&P would be a no-brainer for me based on ergos alone, if S&W would just crank out a "mid-size" model that was dimensionally equivalent to the G19...

Regards,

Kevin

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    At work I carry the full size M&P 40 with X300 attached and two spare mags concealed all day. I carry in Raven Concealment gear on an Ares Gear ranger belt. While I have used this setup on my own time, I usually go with my M&P 9c. The 9c (or any of the compact M&P's) is bigger than the Glock 26/27 but smaller than the Glock 19/23. While I prefer the 19/23 size over the M&P compact for weapon manipulation, the M&Pc is not really that much of a trade off as long as the pinky extention is installed on the magazines. Lately I have been carrying an H&K P30 though. I would say go with the compact M&P as you have your bases covered in the full size area with the G17. Eventually, if you feel the need you can always pick up a full size M&P 9.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    I have a full size 45 and 9. I used to carry the 45 daily in a Milt Sparks SSII. It concealed reasonably well. I now carry the 9 Boone. Not much difference. Faster follow-up shots were the same thing I notices when I first fires an M&P. Both of mine have decent factory triggers that smoothed out after a couple hundred rounds. Mine have a discernable reset.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast