Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SBR and the midlength gas system

Feedback Score
    Why bother? Seems like an odd question. I guess we could ask why bother with almost anything outside of a well-made stock gun.

Anyway, I'll try to answer... First off, as I stated above, I already have the barrel. I'm on a budget and paying $100 (I know it's less, just ball parking with shipping and such) to get a good cut job is a lot cheaper than buying and outfitting a whole new barrel or upper.

Secondly, I do like my middie. I personally feel there is a benefit over the carbine length. I know others may not, but I do.

So to answer your question, I'm looking for cost and performance benefits. After all, isn't that 99% of why we discuss things on these boards? Having got my answer, I will not being going out of my way to make it work. Thanks to all.
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Obviously it's "doable", but it would seem to be more trouble than it's worth. IMHO there's little to nothing gained with midlength gas systems on barrels under 16". You'd also likely find yourself in a situation where you needed to start playing games with the gas port size.

Then there's the cost:benefit analysis. Given that a midlength gas system is about 9" and an FSB is probably another 2", I would think that they shortest you'd get the barrel would be 12-12.5", which is only 2" savings on your 14.5".

Remember what Pat says, "the mission drives the gear". While you may not have a "mission" (I don't) you should at least have an intended purpose. I find that when I do, all the questions seem to answer themselves.

Feedback Score
    You can make one right down around 10 and some inches. But you are going to need to make a gas block for it.

Feedback Score
    Different barrel lengths are possible. The shortest I've seen is a 7" barrel. I'm working on a 11.5" barrel for my SBR. From what I've found out so far is that you have to have different gas port sizes to match the length of the barrel. Sometimes it's hit and miss which is half the fun and a learning experience.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecop203 View Post
    Different barrel lengths are possible. The shortest I've seen is a 7" barrel. I'm working on a 11.5" barrel for my SBR. From what I've found out so far is that you have to have different gas port sizes to match the length of the barrel. Sometimes it's hit and miss which is half the fun and a learning experience.
    How do you have a 7" barrel with a 9" gas system?

Feedback Score
    Steve had a few 11.5 and a least one 12.5" barrel with a 1" extended gas system.
    The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Carbines with 1" extended, right? Not mid I don't think...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    How do you have a 7" barrel with a 9" gas system?
    No, I don't. The shortest I have is 11.5".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Rob was questioning your comment that the shortest you've seen is 7", assuming you were stating that you've seen midlength systems with barrels as short as 7".

If not, what were you trying to say? I don't understand.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Rob was questioning your comment that the shortest you've seen is 7", assuming you were stating that you've seen midlength systems with barrels as short as 7".

If not, what were you trying to say? I don't understand.
    I may be misunderstanding what you mean when you say "midlength".

I was just saying the "shortest" length i've seen on an AR is 7".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast